Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,760.91
+0.10%
DAX
26,438.39
-0.01%
CAC 40
8,626.55
-0.12%
STOXX 50
6,555.17
+0.24%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 12 September 2022 4:19 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 12 September 2022 6:24 pm

BBC urged to cancel Bain & Co contract following UK government ban

By: Louis Goss

Add as a preferred source on Google
"We are concerned the BBC was too confident of what it can deliver in the future," a Committee report published today said.
"We are concerned the BBC was too confident of what it can deliver in the future," a Committee report published today said.

The BBC has said it will “consider” calls for it to cancel its contract with Bain & Co, following the UK’s government’s decision to ban the consultancy from competing for government contracts.

The broadcaster said it will consider calls from veteran anti-apartheid campaigner Lord Hain for the BBC to cancel its contract with Bain over allegations of misconduct in South Africa.

The BBC hired Bain last week to review its funding strategy, following the UK government’s decision to freeze the TV license fee.

In a letter to the BBC seen by Morning Wire, Lord Hain said “it would seem perverse that the BBC would continue working with Bain” considering the “the gravity of the reasons for the ban.”

The UK government last month banned Bain & Co from competing for government work, following a review of the consulting firm’s alleged role in facilitating former South African president Jacob Zuma’s capture of the country’s revenue service.

A BBC spokesperson said the Bain contract, “was awarded after a competitive tendering process” and “agreed before the Government’s action.”

Lord Hain this week also wrote to president Joe Biden, calling on the US government to ban the Boston consulting firm from working for public sector organisations.

Read more

TA Portfolio Company Gong cha to Be Acquired by Bain Capital

The letter to the president urges the US government to institute a similar ban to the one imposed by the UK in order to “establish a clear precedent… that collusion with corrupt politicians and their business cronies in other countries will not be tolerated.”

The US government has not awarded any work to Bain & Co since 2013, official figures show.

Bain has previously admitted failings in its work in South Africa and repaid fees gained through its work on the South African Revenues Service (SARS) contract.

In June last year, former South African president Jacob Zuma was sentenced to 15 months in jail over his failure to cooperate with an inquiry into the SARS scandal.

Commenting on the news, a Bain & Co spokesperson noted the firm is challenging the Cabinet Office’s decision via judicial review,

“We can confirm that Bain has commenced a judicial review proceeding against the Minister’s decision, which we believe was based on a flawed process,” a Bain spokesperson said.

Read more

What should sport expect from Andy Burnham and Lisa Nandy?

GettyImages 2286323428: Business professionals in a meeting, discussing strategies with charts and laptops.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Legal
  • Media
  • Politics

Related Topics

  • BBC
  • UK Government

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

More from Morning Wire

  • TA Portfolio Company Gong cha to Be Acquired by Bain Capital

    Business Wire
  • What should sport expect from Andy Burnham and Lisa Nandy?

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2286323428: Business professionals in a meeting, discussing strategies with charts and laptops.
  • BBC to broadcast Alexis Ohanian co-founded all-female athletics series Athlos

    Sport Business
    Keely Hodgkinson waves to the crowd at a track and field event, wearing a purple and black athletic top.
  • Vodafone defends migrant SIM scheme after Reform threat

    Telecoms
    Zia Yusuf at a business event, wearing a suit and tie, delivering a keynote speech in a modern conference setting
  • ‘Scale is survival’: UK broadcasters race to merge as streaming giants squeeze revenues

    Media
    Studios revenue rose three per cent to £893m, driven by an 11 per cent jump in external sales to streaming platforms.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Romesh Ranganathan makes it hard to defend the BBC

    Opinion
    Comedian Romesh Ranganathan, smiling slightly, in a studio setting.
  • Government to inject millions into electric vehicle firms despite mandate backlash

    Politics
    Car bodies on an assembly line in a UK car plant, showcasing EV manufacturing process
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook