Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 21 December 2018 2:27 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 3:18 am

Beefeaters strike at London landmarks over pension dispute

Staff from Hampton Court palace, Kensington Palace and the Tower of London today staged a walk-out over changes to their pension scheme.

Workers formed picket lines at the famous tourist sites in the first of a series of strikes organised by the GMB Union and Public and Commercial Services union (PCS). 

The strikes follow an announcement by Historical Royal Palaces, the charity that manages the sites, that it plans to move 120 staff to a different pension model. 

PCS said the change will result in members receiving “in some cases massively less pension than they had been promised”. The union said that 50 people would strike and it had been scheduled to last for three hours.

Mark Serwotka, PCS's general secretary, said: “The unwarranted attack on our members’ pensions has forced them to vote for strike action. Our members are not paid a king’s ransom and the pension is one of the things that encourages people to stay in the job and deliver a first class service to the public.”

A total of 91.4 per cent of PCS members voted in favour of the strike on a 72 per cent turnout. Strikers included staff from a range of jobs at the royal sites, including Beefeaters as well as those in admin and other roles.

One striker told Morning Wire: “All of us have worked at here for over fifteen years. We feel like our loyalty is being tested because they promised is something but are now changing their minds. We have had lots of other members of staff come over to voice their support and wish us luck.”

Two further strikes have been planned with the final one taking place next year.

John Barnes, Chief Executive, Historic Royal Palaces, said: "Although we fully respect the rights of Trade Union members to take industrial action, the announcement is disappointing. However, it will not change our decision to close the Defined Benefit scheme.”

Historic Royal Palaces also looks after several other London tourist attractions the Banqueting House, Kew Palace and Hillsborough Castle.

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • London business
  • Pensions

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • State-backed pension scheme plans to pump £1bn into start-ups

    Investing
    City economists have warned that the triple lock pension is unsustainable and unaffordable given the state of the UK's public finances.
  • Thames Water faces fresh threat to survival after pensions regulation breach

    Water
    Thames Water infrastructure with pipes and maintenance workers, highlighting water management efforts in London
  • Burnham backs plan to pump £1bn pension funds into start-ups

    Investing
    Man in suit and red tie speaking at a podium to an audience in a modern building.
  • As it happened: Stocks reverse losses after Trump threatens harder strikes on Iran; Oil at four-week high

    Markets
    Donald Trump has threatened to sue the BBC for $1bn
  • Royal London hits assets record amid pension push

    Investing
    Royal London shared £181mn with its 2.3m customers in April
  • Swiss Pension Funds Increase Commitments to Record Infrastructure Equity Fund to EUR 1.23 Billion

    Business Wire
  • IHT pension scramble shows ‘no sign of slowing down’, says Royal London boss 

    Investing
    Royal London shared £181mn with its 2.3m customers in April
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook