Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 17 May 2022 12:27 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 17 May 2022 4:32 pm

Blame it on the bots: Musk says Twitter takeover can’t progress without fake account clarity

By: Leah Montebello

Add as a preferred source on Google
(Photo Illustration by Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Twitter said it is committed to completing Elon Musk’s $44bn deal at the agreed price and terms, despite the Tesla founder’s continuous floundering.

The eccentric billionaire has said that the social media giant must prove claims about the proportion of spam and fake users on its platform before his takeover can go ahead; this is despite the fact that Twitter has openly said its bot estimates are estimates and not exact figures.

He is demanding more data about the exact numbers, and has suggested the deal ‘cannot move forward’ without this.

Twitter CEO Parag Agrawa took to Twitter to clarify the state of play yesterday in a lengthy Twitter thread.

Let’s talk about spam. And let’s do so with the benefit of data, facts, and context…

— Parag Agrawal (@paraga) May 16, 2022

He concluded: “There are LOTS of details that are very important underneath this high-level description. We shared an overview of the estimation process with Elon a week ago and look forward to continuing the conversation with him, and all of you.”

However, the growing consensus amongst analysts is that Musk is trolling the takeover process, with Bloomberg’s Matt Levine suggesting that Musk’s claims that the deal was “temporarily on hold” last week were simply “not a thing”.

In reality, Musk has signed a binding contract requiring him to buy Twitter, and any breaking of this would require him to pay a $1bn breakout fee.

Though he later tweeted he was “still committed to the acquisition”,  Musk still sent the Twitter stock tumbling as much as 25 per cent in pre-market trading.

Read more

Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)

The mood today feels similar for Twitter, which has seen its shares plunge over eight per cent in pre-market trading.

Whilst the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) commissioner Nathan Simington has already shut down talk of the agency blocking Elon Musk’s acquisition, stating “The FCC cannot, and should not, block this sale,” the turbulence of deal feels pressing, with some regulation feeling necessary.

Discussing the concerns about free speech, Simington said in early May: “It would be not only unconstitutional, but plainly un-American, for any arm of the government to act against Twitter or Mr. Musk for such a purpose.”

Commenting on the regulatory side, Head of TMT Research at Mirabaud Neil Campling told Morning Wire: “Given the entities are in the US then it really should be the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) who should be investigating all of these loose lipped comments by Musk that only find their way into filings after they are spoken – whereas securities’ laws state the opposite.”

“There is definitely an irony (and perhaps deliberate) comment from Elon Musk that his offer was based on Twitter’s SEC filings being accurate when he has often been accused of ignoring SEC filing rules and regulations”, he said.

“Musk knows he holds all the cards in this game of Poker. There is no new seat at the table that is going to suddenly appear to be a white knight to the Twitter board. IF, and it’s a BIG IF, there was a deal to be had… the only certainty is that it will be for a fraction of the original offer price”, Campling concluded.

As Hargreaves Lansdown senior investment and markets analyst Susannah Streeter said, Musk’s Twitter takeover “was always destined to be a bumpy ride”.

Read more

Here’s the right way to criticise the media

Elon Musk and a woman in blue blazer seated with microphones, golden car in background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Elon Musk
  • Twitter

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • Here’s the right way to criticise the media

    Opinion
    Elon Musk and a woman in blue blazer seated with microphones, golden car in background
  • Lisa Nandy has set a terrible precedent by flouncing off Twitter

    Opinion
    Culture secretary Lisa Nandy has warned that the limbo over David Kogan’s appointment as head of the Independent Football Regulator is “obviously having real-world consequences”.
  • ChatGPT to follow Claude’s watermark pledge – but Grok to swerve it

    Tech
    Grok product interface showcasing advanced AI features for efficient data analysis on a sleek digital dashboard
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Schroders sells financial planning arm as it accelerates high net-worth shift

    Investing
    Schroders office building exterior with modern architecture and company logo prominently displayed in a business district ...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook