Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 16 May 2025 3:41 pm  |  Updated:  Friday 16 May 2025 3:42 pm

Boss of King Charles property portfolio in talks with old firm for slice of HS2 Euston

By: Guy Taylor

Transport Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Construction giant Lendlease is leading the £4bn regeneration of Euston but is in the process of exiting its international operations.
Construction giant Lendlease is leading the £4bn regeneration of Euston but is in the process of exiting its international operations.

King Charles’ property company is in talks to buy up part of HS2’s Euston site from its floundering owner, according to reports.

The Crown Estate, led by Dan Labbad, is in talks with the Australian developer Lendlease for a 50 per cent stake in six major UK projects, an announcement on the Australian Stock Exchange confirmed earlier this week.

Labbad and Lendlease already know each other well. He previously served in a dual role as head of Lendlease’s Europe and international operations.

The deal is expected to be valued at £22bn once development is complete.

Inclusion of the Euston station site in the deal, which was reported by the Telegraph, would come as a boost for the Department for Transport (DfT).

Ministers have been in a race to find private investment to secure its future as costs for HS2’s planned terminus soar to more than £7.5bn.

Any involvement of the Crown Estate could put further scrutiny on Lendlease, which has come under the microscope in the past for its close ties to senior figures at HS2.

Former HS2 chair Sir David Higgins and a key member of the project’s procurement team both previously held top-level positions at the firm.

Read more

‘Social value’ procurement rules are an absurd waste of time and money

Tunnelling for the Euston link finally kicks off this week.

Property tycoon Michael Gross, the former owner of the Euston site who led a failed bid for its redevelopment, said of Labbad’s former role: “Of course it’s a conflict of interest he was involved with Lendlease before.”

Lendlease flew into the spotlight earlier this year after the firm sold part of its loss-making UK business to the US private equity firm, Atlas Holdings.

The deal placed the future of the company’s UK development contracts into uncertainty at a crucial point in the long-running saga over HS2’s spiralling costs.

It is currently in the process of winding down its entire international operation amid a re-focus on its home country Australia.

A spokesperson for Lendlease said: “As a publicly listed company, we do not comment on speculation.”

A spokesperson for the Crown Estate declined to comment on market rumours.

Read more

Prologis tables ‘best and final’ £14bn offer for Segro

London Stock Exchange interior with a digital display showing LON.STK.EXCH and traders walking past.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

People & Organisations

  • Euston
  • HS2
  • HS2 Ltd
  • king charles

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • ‘Social value’ procurement rules are an absurd waste of time and money

    Economics
    Tunnelling for the Euston link finally kicks off this week.
  • Prologis tables ‘best and final’ £14bn offer for Segro

    Property
    London Stock Exchange interior with a digital display showing LON.STK.EXCH and traders walking past.
  • Graduate start-ups require a new kind of office

    Partner
    High-resolution view of Halkin Street, showcasing the architectural details and vibrant urban atmosphere.
  • Prologis pursuit of Segro descends into silver-haired scrap

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Crest Nicholson shares slump as lender talks drag on 

    Property
    Housing delivery in London is in a major crisis
  • Which is the smelliest Tube line?

    Opinion
    Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook