Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
0.00%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 21 April 2023 9:58 am  |  Updated:  Friday 21 April 2023 10:17 am

Dominic Raab resigns from the government in wake of bullying report

By: Jack Mendel

Add as a preferred source on Google
Raab Faces Questions From MPs On Afghan Evacuation
Dominic Raab will step down as an MP at the next election.

Dominic Raab has quit Rishi Sunak’s Cabinet following the conclusion of an inquiry into bullying allegations.

He resigned after the PM received the report from senior lawyer Adam Tolley KC’s investigation on Thursday and had been considering the findings since.

There was speculation as to when the Prime Minister would respond formally to the report, and if it would result in Raab’s sacking from the cabinet. This morning he was accused of “dither” in not sacking Raab.

In a punchy resignation letter, he said he “undertook to resign, if it made any finding of bullying whatsoever. I believe it is important to keep my word.”

He also took a swipe at his critics, saying a “dangerous precedent” had been set with bullying claims, and the investifation and report “will encourage spurious complaints against Ministers, and have a chilling effect on those driving change”.

Writing to the Prime Minister, he said: “Whilst I feel duty bound to accept the outcome of the inquiry, it dismissed all but two of the claims levelled against me. I also believe that its two adverse findings are flawed and set a dangerous precedent for the conduct of good government.

He insisted that “ministers must be able to exercise direct oversight with respect to senior officials over critical negotiations conducted on behalf of the British people, otherwise the democratic and constitutional principle of Ministerial responsibility will be lost. This was particularly true during my time as Foreign Secretary, in the context of the Brexit negotiations over Gibraltar, when a senior diplomat breached the mandate agreed by Cabinet.”

He added that government officials “must be able to give direct critical feedback on briefings and submissions to senior officials”.

This coms after Raab was accused amongst other things, of throwing Pret A Manger sandwiches at staff members in fits of anger.

Raab continued, that “Tolley concluded that I had not once, in four and a half years, sworn or shouted at anyone, let alone thrown anything or otherwise physically intimidated anyone, nor intentionally sought to belittle anyone.

“I am genuinely sorry for any unintended stress or offence that any officials felt, as a result of the pace, standards and challenge that I brought to the Ministry of Justice.”

Read more

Fifa accused of bullying in attempt to kill off multi-billion class action claim

Getty Images news-related image depicting a significant event or person, suitable for general news and business contexts.

“In setting the threshold for bullying so low, this inquiry has set a dangerous precedent. It will encourage spurious complaints against Ministers, and have a chilling effect on those driving change”.

In a final swipe at critics, he told the Prime Minister he “raised with you a number of improprieties that came to light during the course of this inquiry” including “systematic leaking of skewed and fabricated claims” to the media in breach of the rules of the inquiry and the Civil Service Code of Conduct, ” as well as “the coercive removal by a senior official of dedicated Private Secretaries from my Ministry of Justice Private Office, in October of last year.

“I hope these will be independently reviewed I remain as supportive of you and this government, as when I first introduced you at your campaign leadership launch last July. You have proved a great Prime Minister in very challenging times, and vou can count on my support from the backbenches.”

More to follow.

My resignation statement.👇 pic.twitter.com/DLjBfChlFq

— Dominic Raab (@DominicRaab) April 21, 2023

Read his resignation letter in full:

“I am writing to resign from your government, following receipt of the report arising from the inquiry conducted by Adam Tolley KC. I called for the inquiry and undertook to resign, if it made any finding of bullying whatsoever. I believe it is important to keep my word.

It has been a privilege to serve you as Deputy Prime Minister, Justice Secretary and Lord Chancellor. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work as a Minister in a range of roles and departments since 2015, and pay tribute to the many outstanding civil servants with whom I have worked Whilst I feel duty bound to accept the outcome of the inquiry, it dismissed all but two of the claims levelled against me. I also believe that its two adverse findings are flawed and set a dangerous precedent for the conduct of good government. First, Ministers must be able to exercise direct oversight with respect to senior officials over critical negotiations conducted on behalf of the British people, otherwise the democratic and constitutional principle of Ministerial responsibility will be lost. This was particularly true during my time as Foreign Secretary, in the context of the Brexit negotiations over Gibraltar, when a senior diplomat breached the mandate agreed by Cabinet.

Second, Ministers must be able to give direct critical feedback on briefings and submissions to senior officials, in order to set the standards and drive the reform the public expect of us. Of course. this must be done within reasonable bounds. Mr Tolley concluded that I had not once, in four and a half years, sworn or shouted at anyone, let alone thrown anything or otherwise physically intimidated anyone, nor intentionally sought to belittle anyone. I am genuinely sorry for any unintended stress or offence that any officials felt, as a result of the pace, standards and challenge that I brought to the Ministry of Justice. That is, however, what the public expect of Ministers working on their behalf.

In setting the threshold for bullying so low, this inquiry has set a dangerous precedent. It will encourage spurious complaints against Ministers, and have a chilling effect on those driving change on behalf of your government – and ultimately the British people.

Finally, I raised with you a number of improprieties that came to light during the course of this inquiry. They include the systematic leaking of skewed and fabricated claims to the media in breach of the rules of the inquiry and the Civil Service Code of Conduct, and the coercive removal by a senior official of dedicated Private Secretaries from my Ministry of Justice Private Office, in October of last year. I hope these will be independently reviewed I remain as supportive of you and this government, as when I first introduced you at your campaign leadership launch last July. You have proved a great Prime Minister in very challenging times, and vou can count on my support from the backbenches.”

Read more

Three ways Andy Burnham can avoid Keir Starmer’s mistakes

Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, speaking at an event

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Rishi Sunak

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Fifa accused of bullying in attempt to kill off multi-billion class action claim

    Sport Business
    Getty Images news-related image depicting a significant event or person, suitable for general news and business contexts.
  • Three ways Andy Burnham can avoid Keir Starmer’s mistakes

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, speaking at an event
  • Former Lloyd’s chief John Neal breached rules with undisclosed relationship

    Insurance
    John Neal (Credit: Lloyd's of London)
  • Rupert Lowe axes pensions triple lock and pledges tax cuts in economic plan

    Politics
    Rupert Lowe, former Southampton FC chairman, smiles while holding files on a city street, wearing a suit and pink tie
  • IT consultant ordered to pay £50,000 after being accused of stealing Soho House members’ personal details

    Legal
    Soho House has continued to attract new members to its clubs.
  • Winkworth delays legal drama for a month after family feud

    Legal
    Winkworth estate agent For Sale sign in front of a brick building, indicating property prices and availability.
  • Regulator flags BDO’s ‘unacceptable’ audit issues for fifth year in a row 

    Accountancy
    BDO is headquartered in London. Credit - BDO
  • BP quits North Sea after tax grab

    Energy
    North Sea oil terminal with storage tanks and docking facilities under a clear sky, highlighting energy infrastructure.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook