Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
0.00%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 10 January 2023 7:48 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 10 January 2023 7:49 am

Brexit: UK and N Ireland data-sharing progress a ‘positive step’ in protocol wrangling

By: Morning Wire Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google

Progress between the EU and the UK on post-Brexit data-sharing has been hailed as a “positive step” in ongoing talks to find a solution to the Northern Ireland Protocol row.

Foreign Secretary James Cleverly and Northern Ireland Secretary Chris Heaton-Harris met European Commission vice-president Maros Sefcovic in London on Monday, as London and Brussels try to find a way forward over post-Brexit arrangements in the region.

Both sides hailed an agreement in the area of data-sharing and EU access to British IT systems as a key step in resolving the row over the protocol, and which has left Northern Ireland without a devolved powersharing executive since early last year.

A joint statement, issued after the meeting, described it as “cordial and constructive”.

Thank you @MarosSefcovic for meeting @chhcalling and me in London.

We share the same focus – finding the best outcome for Northern Ireland.

Today's progress on data sharing marks a positive step in discussions on the NI Protocol. pic.twitter.com/vMSpK9OwlA

— James Cleverly🇬🇧 (@JamesCleverly) January 9, 2023

“They underlined the EU and UK’s shared commitment to protect the Good Friday (Belfast) Agreement in all its parts, while protecting the integrity of both the EU single market and the UK internal market,” it said.

“They agreed that while a range of critical issues need to be resolved to find a way forward, an agreement was reached today on the way forward regarding the specific question of the EU’s access to UK IT systems.

“They noted this work was a critical prerequisite to building trust and providing assurance, and provided a new basis for EU-UK discussions.”

The statement said that officials in London and Brussels would now “work rapidly to scope the potential for solutions in different areas on the basis of this renewed understanding”.

The men will “take stock of progress” next week.

Read more

ICON announces multi-year collaboration with Anthropic to bring frontier AI to clinical trials

Mr Cleverly, in a tweet after the meeting, said: “We share the same focus – finding the best outcome for Northern Ireland.

“Today’s progress on data-sharing marks a positive step in discussions on the NI Protocol.”

Downing Street said the data agreement was an “important step forward” and “a foundation for building further trust”.

But the Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “There are still significant issues at the heart of the protocol that need addressing.”

Mr Sefcovic called it a “new basis” for UK-EU discussions on the protocol, which has overshadowed Northern Irish politics since it was agreed as part of the Brexit deal in a bid to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland.

But members of the unionist community are unhappy with the difficulties it creates for trade between Northern Ireland and Great Britain.

The Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) has refused to co-operate with forming a devolved Executive in Stormont until issues with the agreement are resolved.

Press Association

Read more

Northern Trust Expands Relationship with First Sentier Group to Support Irish Fund Structure

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Brexit

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • ICON announces multi-year collaboration with Anthropic to bring frontier AI to clinical trials

    Business Wire
  • Northern Trust Expands Relationship with First Sentier Group to Support Irish Fund Structure

    Business Wire
  • 2026 Open Championship set to double spending in Royal Birkdale

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a digital screen, highlighting the media companys branding and presence in the news industry.
  • Invested as One: Northern Trust Grants Employees Company Stock

    Business Wire
  • Northern Trust Appointed to Support Invesco’s New Index-Tracking Mutual Fund Range

    Business Wire
  • Trusted Data Transfer at Mission Speed Enables Operations During UK Army’s Rhino Bizz Exercise

    Business Wire
  • Tale of two cities: London leaps ahead in global finance but domestic growth stalls

    Economics
    Getty Images number 2154617464 depicts a relevant scene for the articles unidentified content, suitable for business context.
  • Quinbrook Closes Oversubscribed GBP 587 Million Renewables Impact Fund II

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook