Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 28 September 2018 5:10 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 21 May 2019 4:25 pm

Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier puts himself out of contention for EU presidency

By: Nicholas Earl

Add as a preferred source on Google

NULL

The EU's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, has put himself out of the running to become the centre-right's candidate to replace departing Jean-Claude Juncker as president of the European Commission.

Barnier's announcement ends a protracted period of speculation suggesting that he would throw his hat into the ring for the role of Spitzenkandidat in the European People's Party.

The French politician tweeted a letter announcing his decision to stay out of the race to Joseph Dall, president of the EPP, saying he wanted to stay and finish the Brexit negotiations.

I have decided today not to run for the nomination as the @EPP’s European elections lead campaigner at #EPPHelsinki.

It is my duty and responsibility to continue the #Brexit negotiations right to the end. pic.twitter.com/yc3g5T3aTQ

— Michel Barnier (@MichelBarnier) September 28, 2018

“I have decided today not to run for the nomination as the EPP’s European elections lead candidate ,” he said on.He said that he would continue his leading role in the Brexit negotiation.

“We are in the final stretch of a serious and complex negotiation on the orderly withdrawal of the United Kingdom. It is my duty to remain engaged with all my energy and determination."

He also added in a handwritten segment on the letter that he remained committed to what he saw as the values of the European Union.

“Of course, I will remain committed in the future and available to defend our values and renew the European project together,” Barnier said.

The only candidate who has declared his interest in the EPP's nomination is Manfred Weber, the leader of the party in the European Parliament since 2014.

Read more: EU working to improve Irish border backstop proposal, Barnier says

However, it is unlikely he will be the only candidate competing for the role, with former Finnish Prime Minister Alexander Stubb also rumoured to be contemplating a run.

The group is highly influential within Brussels, and the continental party's nominee is expected to be a leading contender for the role, which is arguably the most powerful post in Brussels.

The news come as something of a disappointment to several high profile Brussels politicians, who have praised his performance as Brexit chief. France’s main centre-right party, Les Républicains, had publicly stated they wanted Barnier to be the nominee earlier last week.

The new president will take over the European Comission in November 2019.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics
  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Economics
  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Brexit
  • International
  • Jean-Claude Juncker
  • People

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • Fifa crisis: Uefa exec Nasser Al-Khelaifi ‘not interested’ in ousting Infantino

    Sport Business
    Nasser Al-Khelaifi adjusting his tie, speaking to another person in a business setting
  • Mexico breaks ranks and dents Uefa-led bid to oust embattled Fifa kingpin Infantino

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, smiling as golden confetti falls around him
  • On This Day : Reagan declares: “We begin bombing in five minutes”

    Opinion
    Ronald Reagan speaking at a podium with microphones, holding a paper, family photos visible in the background
  • London IPO candidate Utmost sees inflows slide

    Investing
    Pedestrians walk across a modern pedestrian bridge with steel cables and supports over brown water.
  • Farage quits to stand in ‘people versus establishment’ by-election

    Politics
    George Cottrell and Nigel Farage engaging in a conversation at a political event, both dressed in formal attire.
  • On this day: ‘We begin bombing in five minutes’ – Reagan’s accidental broadcast

    Opinion
    Ronald Reagan at a podium in Washington in 1982, pointing to his right while speaking.
  • Nigel Farage wins in Clacton – and triggers investigation

    Politics
    Nigel Farage, in a striped jacket and sunglasses, speaks outside a polling station.
  • Tale of two cities: London leaps ahead in global finance but domestic growth stalls

    Economics
    Getty Images number 2154617464 depicts a relevant scene for the articles unidentified content, suitable for business context.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook