Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 25 January 2023 2:54 pm

Britishvolt bidding war hots up as Australian start-up throws hat in the ring

By: Nicholas Earl

Add as a preferred source on Google
The Australian buyer of the failed battery start-up Britishvolt has failed to pay its UK staff over the last four months.
The Australian buyer of the failed battery start-up Britishvolt has failed to pay its UK staff over the last four months.

Britishvolt could be the subject of a bidding war, after an Australian battery start-up threw its hat in the ring with a takeover offer for the firm.

Recharge Industries is looking to power up the collapsed battery maker and has reportedly made a preliminary offer, for an undisclosed sum, while other parties are also rumoured to be circling the electric vehicle battery producer.

Recharge could come up against multiple bidders, with Tata Motors and Dealab, a London-based financial group with close links to Indonesia, which have both previously expressing interest in the company, according to media reports.

Recharge’s founder confirmed to The Financial Times that he will tour Britishvolt’s site in Northumberland this week, and meet government officials before tabling an offer.

Founder David Collard said he hopes to take advantage of strong ties between the two countries, with the UK and Australia recently both signing a free trade agreement and being members of the “Aukus” security alliance.

Collard revealed he had been approached by Britishvolt six months ago, when the British company was scrambling for funding, but at the time he was focusing on his Australian operations.

He now wants to combine Britishvolt’s plans with his company’s existing ambitions to construct a battery factory in Geelong, a coastal city in Australia, by 2024. If his takeover bid is successful, Collard is expected to transfer Recharge’s lithium-ion battery technology being used at the Geelong plant to the UK plant to speed up its resurgence.

Recharge would also expect the £100m in funding the UK government promised to Britishvolt – a sum that was dependent on the firm hitting its construction targets.

Britishvolt collapsed into administration earlier this month after failing to find a viable bidder, with EY overseeing its sale.

The business expected to attract bids of less than £10m, after having previously been valued as high as £700m, and a takeover could be wrapped up by the end of the month.

EY declined to comment.

Read more

Apollo snaps up Easyjet after Castlelake walks away

EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Energy

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Apollo snaps up Easyjet after Castlelake walks away

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Exclusive: Rugby League monitoring Henry Pollock amid £1m Hearn wage demands

    Sport Business
    A young man with blonde hair and a dark shirt, clenching his fist and smiling, likely celebrating or cheering.
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Battery Ventures Promotes Brandon Gleklen to Partner

    Business Wire
  • Competition watchdog clears Paramount Warner Bros acquisition

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Audi’s brought back the A2, and it’s gone electric

    Life&Style
    Two Audi A2 concept cars with distinctive designs parked by a waterfront cityscape at sunset.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook