Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 24 November 2023 8:10 am  |  Updated:  Friday 24 November 2023 8:16 am

Buses and trams burned in Dublin riots after children injured in knife attack

By: Morning Wire Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Buses and trams have been torched and a shop looted during riots in Dublin city centre after a woman and three young children were injured in a knife attack near a school. Photo: PA
Buses and trams have been torched and a shop looted during riots in Dublin city centre after a woman and three young children were injured in a knife attack near a school. Photo: PA

Buses and trams have been torched and a shop looted during riots in Dublin city centre after a woman and three young children were injured in a knife attack near a school.

Police and politicians called for calm amid warnings against misinformation as violence escalated from a demonstration that began on Thursday afternoon — but the incident is now said to be under control.

There were clashes with riot police as some demonstrators let off flares and fireworks, while others grabbed chairs and stools outside bars and restaurants.

A police cordon was set up around the Irish parliament building, Leinster House, including mounted officers.

As violence escalated, a police car was set alight, a tram and several buses were set on fire, and a bus and car were torched. Rioters looted a Foot Locker store as bottles were thrown at officers on the streets.

Firefighters tackled a large blaze that engulfed a tram on Dublin’s famous O’Connell Street, which appeared to have spread to buses parked nearby.

Crowds were dispersed to nearby roads as smoke from fires filled the air while a police helicopter monitored the situation overhead. Roads were blocked and bins were set on fire in parts of the city.

Irish Justice Minister Helen McEntee labelled the scenes “intolerable” and said a “thuggish and manipulative element must not be allowed to use an appalling tragedy to wreak havoc”.

Garda Commissioner Drew Harris said a “complete lunatic faction driven by far-right ideology” was behind the disorder in Dublin.

Read more

Sadiq Khan urges tougher Ofcom action as UK prepares social media ban rules

Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies

The violence broke out after three young children and a woman were attacked in Parnell Square East in the north of the city centre on Thursday afternoon.

A five-year-old girl was undergoing emergency treatment for her injuries, Irish police said. The woman was seriously injured while the two other children, a five-year-old boy and a six-year-old girl, suffered less serious injuries.

Gardai said a man who sustained serious injuries is a person of interest in their investigation.

Earlier on Thursday, Garda Superintendent Liam Geraghty said officers were keeping an open mind in terms of the investigation but were “satisfied there is no terrorist link”.

However, at an evening press conference, Mr Harris was asked about a potential terrorist link, and said: “I have never ruled out any possible motive for this attack… all lines of inquiry are open to determine the motive for this attack.”

Irish premier Leo Varadkar said “we are all shocked” by the incident, and added: “Our thoughts and our prayers go out to [the injured] and their families.”

Irish President Michael D Higgins said: “All of our thoughts are with each of the children and their families affected by today’s horrific attack.”

By Press Association reporters

Read more

Lisa Nandy has set a terrible precedent by flouncing off Twitter

Culture secretary Lisa Nandy has warned that the limbo over David Kogan’s appointment as head of the Independent Football Regulator is “obviously having real-world consequences”.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Crime
  • Terrorism

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Sadiq Khan urges tougher Ofcom action as UK prepares social media ban rules

    Tech
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • Lisa Nandy has set a terrible precedent by flouncing off Twitter

    Opinion
    Culture secretary Lisa Nandy has warned that the limbo over David Kogan’s appointment as head of the Independent Football Regulator is “obviously having real-world consequences”.
  • Manchester was Burnham’s rehearsal – now get ready to pay the bill

    Opinion
    Manchester skyline with iconic landmarks during a Belfast speech event, highlighting urban landscape and architectural bea...
  • AI powerhouses are betting on London’s future

    Opinion
    Aerial view of Kings Cross St. Pancras station and square, London, with people, buses, and surrounding buildings.
  • The Simon Levy case proves some criminals can never be rehabilitated

    Opinion
    Simon Levy, a man with dark hair and a beard, looking directly at the camera.
  • Is the Audi Q9 the poshest Audi yet?

    Life&Style
    Dark blue Audi Q9 SUV parked on concrete with a modern building and sunset sky in the background.
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • ‘Social value’ procurement rules are an absurd waste of time and money

    Economics
    Tunnelling for the Euston link finally kicks off this week.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook