Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,717.46
-0.24%
DAX
26,010.92
-0.31%
CAC 40
8,500.35
-0.02%
STOXX 50
6,439.55
-0.08%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 17 February 2017 8:43 am

Business secretary Greg Clark says Peugeot-maker PSA wants to build on Vauxhall’s success

By: Courtney Goldsmith

Add as a preferred source on Google

Business secretary Greg Clark has called his talks with the French government and PSA "constructive", saying the French firm wants to build on the success of Britain's Vauxhall business.

In a short statement, Clark said the PSA "stressed that they valued highly the enduring strength of the Vauxhall brand, underpinned by its committed workforce".

Clark jetted to Paris for talks over the French company's prospective takeover of General Motors' European Opel operations, including Vauxhall. 

In his statement he said executives from Peugeot-maker PSA and the French industry minister explained the rationale behind the potential alliance.

"While discussions are still on-going, they made clear to me that in any deal these were strengths they would wish to build on. We agreed to remain in close contact during the period ahead," Clark said.

Concerns have been mounting over the future of thousands of jobs at Vauxhall, which employs 4,500 staff at plants in Ellesmere Port and Luton, while there are thousands more people working in its retail network and reliant on the firm’s UK supply chain.

Yesterday, Clark said he had been reassured by General Motors that the firm didn't intend to "rationalise" its Vauxhall operations in the UK.

GM did not provide further details, saying in a statement that its aim with the sale “is to build on the success of Opel Vauxhall and to put the business and the operations in the strongest possible position for the future”.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Renault Scenic E-Tech 2026 review: An electric SUV for our times

    Life&Style
    Renault Scenic E-Tech showcasing sleek design and advanced features in latest tech review
  • Vauxhall Mokka GSE review: on-track in the most surprising car of 2026

    Life&Style
    Blue and black Vauxhall Mokka driving on a winding country road with a driver visible, against a hilly landscape.
  • Miliband refused to meet motor trade body to discuss zero emissions mandate

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Ed Miliband speaking at a podium during a press conference, addressing energy policy reforms and climate change initiatives.
  • Mega-rich Hundred franchise owners in London for start of competition

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2216312615: Business professionals collaborating in a modern office environment.
  • Why did Pinterest choose Oxford Street for its new HQ?

    Opinion
    Gregory Owens and Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, stand smiling in a gallery with various framed images.
  • New planning rules ‘could blight high streets with empty pubs’

    Hospitality
    GettyImages 170179379 could depict a general business scenario, such as a diverse team discussing strategy in a modern off...
  • Historic French Luxury Leather Goods House Moreau Paris Sold to Leading Manufacturer

    Business Wire
  • Champions Cup rugby team hacked in ransom attack with player data at risk

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in a pink uniform running with the ball, pursued by an opponent in a black jersey.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook