Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.63
0.00%
DAX
26,046.66
+0.24%
CAC 40
8,452.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,436.48
+0.22%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 27 August 2020 1:03 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 05 October 2020 4:07 pm

Exclusive: Bust burrito chain Chilango sold out of administration

By: James Booth

Add as a preferred source on Google
TO GO WITH STORY BY ROLAND JACKSON Peopl
Chilango has been sold out of administration

Burrito chain Chilango has today been sold out of administration after the Covid-19 pandemic finished off the already struggling business, Morning Wire can reveal.

The Mexican-themed fast-food chain told investors today that administrators RSM had secured a buyer for the business.

RSM confirmed this afternoon the the chain had been sold to Investment group RD Capital Partners following a competitive sale process.

The rescue deal secures 10 of Chilango’s 11 restaurants and preserves around 130 jobs.

Managing director Richard Franks, who took over running the business in February, will continue to lead Chilango.

Gordon Thomson, joint administrator, RSM said: “Despite the commendable support provided by the government, the pandemic and associated lockdown measures have presented significant challenges to the casual dining industry. This deal, together with the backing of RD Capital Partners, secures 130 jobs and will allow the Chilango brand to grow.”

Earlier, in an email to investors seen by Morning Wire, Chilango said: “We had worked extremely hard to mitigate the pandemic’s impact, operating as much as is safely possible, while implementing any government measures that have been available to us. We are deeply saddened that these efforts were not sufficient to secure the future of Chilango as it exists today,”

The company, which crowdsourced £5.8m from around 1,500 small investors through its so-called burrito bonds, was struggling with rising operational costs and mounting debts even before the coronavirus pandemic ground much of the restaurant industry to a halt.

Chilango’s creditors passed a company voluntary arrangement (CVA), news of which was first reported by City A.M., in January. Rescue measures included slashing rents at three of its 12 restaurants and exiting four leases on dormant sites.

Under the CVA, investors who backed Chilango’s mini-bond offerings were offered a stark choice between having their investments converted into debt-like shares in the company or receiving 10p per pound they originally invested.

Read more

Harvey Nichols will collapse without rescue deal, directors warn

Exterior view of the Harvey Nichols luxury department store building facade with prominent black lettering and ornate arch...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Retail

Related Topics

  • M&A

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Harvey Nichols will collapse without rescue deal, directors warn

    Retail
    Exterior view of the Harvey Nichols luxury department store building facade with prominent black lettering and ornate arch...
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

    Retail
    Low-angle view of the Harvey Nichols store facade with large windows, ornate columns, and prominent signage.
  • Wetherspoon shares dive as pub chain warns on profit again

    Hospitality
    Tim Martin, founder of JD Wetherspoon, speaking and gesturing with an open hand, wearing a blue polo shirt and dark jacket.
  • Tesco ‘in talks’ to exit eastern Europe

    Retail
    Tesco storefront with shoppers entering and exiting, highlighting the brands popularity and bustling retail environment
  • Rolls-Royce share jump as profit beats expectations

    Industrials
    Rolls-Royce is a member of the FTSE 100. Credit - Getty.
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers snaps up Harvey Nichols 

    Retail
    Exterior view of the Harvey Nichols department store building facade with detailed windows and architectural columns
  • Skilled tech visa applications fall again despite AI talent push

    Tech
    UK work and study visas have fallen as Labour faces pressure to reduce immigration.
  • Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

    Retail
    Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook