Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,751.22
+0.07%
DAX
25,985.36
-0.41%
CAC 40
8,464.01
-0.45%
STOXX 50
6,427.92
-0.26%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 31 July 2026 4:12 pm

Can a team of retail veterans solve Argos’ catalogue of woes?

By: Felix Armstrong

Retail Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Argos storefront showcasing the latest product displays and promotional banners in a bustling city center location
New Argos boss Richard Pennycook hinted that the catalogue could return

The death of the Argos catalogue in 2021 after nearly half a century prompted a period of mourning for many in Britain – including the retailer’s new owner.

“I used to sit around the kitchen table putting green shield stamps into books,” Richard Pennycook said on Friday, referring to the original iteration of the catalogue.

Pennycook, the former chief executive of Co-op, now has the power to bring back this very catalogue. On Friday, he led Swift Partners, a newly-formed company, in buying Argos from Sainsbury’s for £120m. 

“That’s how far back my association with Argos goes,” Pennycook said, though he refused to be drawn on whether the catalogue would return. “At the same time, we all know that the brand has to be relevant for today and for its customers’ needs today.” 

Sainsbury’s sale of Argos brings to an end its 10-year ownership of the struggling retailer, which has long dragged on otherwise strong growth at the UK’s second-largest supermarket.

Swift Partners will be headed up by Pennycook, who is currently the chairman of travel company On the Beach, as well as former Morrisons executive Trevor Strain and retail investment expert Matt Truman. 

Sainsbury’s and Swift partners hailed the deal as a win-win. “Simon [Roberts, chief executive of Sainsbury’s] has been very clear that the future of Sainsbury’s is brilliant food, so when Simon and his team wake up in the morning, that’s the first priority they think of,” Pennycook said.

“When Matt, Trevor and I wake up in the morning, the first priority we’ll think of is how do we grow Argos.”

Argos just 16 per cent of Sainsbury’s sales

The deal offers “mutual benefits” to Sainsbury’s and Argos’ new owners, according to analysts at Shore Capital. Swift Partners boasts “some of the greatest” retail talent in the UK, the broker said. 

Analysts described the deal as a coup for Swift, who has snapped up Argos for a fraction of the £1.4bn Sainsbury’s paid for the catalogue retailer in 2016. 

Read more

Sainsbury’s to sell Argos in £120m cut-price deal

Sainsburys supermarket entrance with prominent Argos and Lloyds Pharmacy signs, reflecting the companys acquisitions.

Argos sales have declined as a proportion of its owner’s takings in recent years. In 2024, the catalogue retailer took more than £5bn, accounting for 20 per cent of Sainsbury’s total sales. 

But the retailer’s sales fell to £4.1bn this year, making up just less than 16 per cent of the group’s £30bn takings. 

Sainsbury’s has been driving resources into an attempted turnaround of Argos, working to widen customer service and product availability as part of its “more Argos, more often” strategy.

Despite these efforts, the supermarket said last month that the retailer’s growing sales volumes were “offset by the impact of subdued consumer spending” on its prices, dragging the value of sales down by 0.5 per cent.

Argos ‘thorn in side for Sainsbury’s’

Pennycook said on Friday that he is aware of the challenges posed by the fragile spending confidence of UK consumers. “But a very important part of this business plan going forward will be working closely with our supply base to make sure that we are bringing innovative and great value products to the customer,” he said.

“Argos had been something of a thorn in the side for the group,” said Richard Hunter, head of markets at Interactive Investor.

Hunter said that the retailer’s ailing health was made clearest at Sainsbury’s January trading update, when Argos posted a one per cent drop in sales despite the trading opportunities posed by Christmas and Black Friday. 

Though the supermarket had recently promised investors that it was committed to “determined action to accelerate the transformation of Argos,” it has acted shrewdly to throw in the towel, Hunter said. 

But Argos is not out of sight for Sainsbury’s. The catalogue retailer will continue to operate hundreds of the grocer’s sites, and will still offer Nectar points. 

“However Sainsbury may well now benefit without the distraction of this struggling part of its offering. […] For its part Argos will no doubt see a renewed energy and focus as the new owners look to capitalise on what it describes as a strong belief in the company’s future,” he said.

Read more

Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

People & Organisations

  • Argos
  • High Street
  • Retail
  • retailer
  • retailers
  • Sainsbury's
  • simon roberts

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Sainsbury’s to sell Argos in £120m cut-price deal

    Retail
    Sainsburys supermarket entrance with prominent Argos and Lloyds Pharmacy signs, reflecting the companys acquisitions.
  • Back to basics: Sainsbury’s gradual retreat from the British high street

    Retail
    Sainsbury’s Cobham. Credit: David Parry/PA Media Assignments.
  • Foxtons shares tumble as estate agent takes £3m knock from Renters’ Rights Act

    Property
    Foxtons is London's largest lettings agency brand
  • The PlayStation Portal 2026 review: Japanese innovation, hampered by UK infrastructure 

    Life&Style
    PlayStation Portal handheld device showcasing sleek design and advanced gaming features against a modern backdrop.
  • Housebuilder shares rally on Iran war peace hopes and help-to-buy revival

    Property
    Construction worker in high-visibility vest on a new house roof with red tiles, surrounded by scaffolding.
  • Rolex made a surprise appearance at the World Cup

    Life&Style
    Carlos Alcaraz embracing a person, smiling, wearing a Rolex Daytona Rainbow watch at a stadium event
  • Housebuilders urge Rayner to ‘hit the ground running’ and rip up planning red tape

    Property
    Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, smiling in glasses at an event with camera crew and lighting
  • Anthony Hamilton’s cars – including a special jaguar – just sold for £2.9m, here’s why

    Life&Style
    Light blue David Brown Automotive Speedback GT sports car, front 3/4 view, at an auto show display.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook