Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,738.90
-0.04%
DAX
26,050.27
-0.16%
CAC 40
8,508.13
+0.07%
STOXX 50
6,442.45
-0.03%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 11 June 2025 7:33 am

Canadian giant swoops for London-listed Ricardo

By: Samuel Norman

Senior City Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Ashmore suffered from a drop of appetite but is preparing for a rebound
Ashmore suffered a sharp selloff

London-listed engineering firm Ricardo has agreed to a £281m acquisition deal by Canadian consultancy giant WSP in the latest foreign takeover blow to the London Stock Exchange.

Ricardo has accepted the 430p per share offer, a 28 per cent increase on the firm’s closing price on June 10 of 326p. It is a 69 per cent premium on its 90-day average.

WSP said it had secured key support from shareholders for the acquisition, including letters of intent from Gresham House, Aberforth Partners and Royal London Asset Management, which cover around 48 per cent of Ricardo’s share capital.

In a separate agreement, WSP UK have purchased nearly 20 per cent of Ricardo Shares from Science Group at 430 pence per share, bolstering its position as a shareholder. The deal is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of 2025, subject to regulatory approvals.

Mark Clare, chair of Ricardo, said: “WSP has made a compelling offer which represents a highly attractive premium to recent average trading levels and provides certain value in cash today for Ricardo shareholders.

“Importantly, the Ricardo Directors believe that the Acquisition will provide enhanced career opportunities for Ricardo’s employees within the WSP Group as well as access for our clients to a broader service offering.”

Science Group had lobbied for the ousting of Clare as Chair at the end of May after blasting the firm’s “blinkered perspective” and “extraordinary denial of reality”.

A bad week for foreign takeovers

WSP’s takeover will mark the latest delisting blow for the embattled London Stock Exchange.

This follows a frenzy of UK takeovers on Monday that resulted in three separate billion-pound mergers and acquisitions as tech giants scouted for British bargains.

The announcement came alongside London Tech Week, where the Prime Minister sought to tout the success of the sector.

The delistings in 2025 continue last year’s exodus, which saw the biggest departures from the London stock market since the global crisis.

A total of 88 firms either ditched their listing or transferred their primary listing from the main market, including Paddy Power owner Flutter and tech darling Darktrace.

Read more

Options Announces CIX Trading, Canada’s Newest Alternative Trading System (ATS)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Markets
  • Business

People & Organisations

  • consultancy
  • delisting
  • FTSE
  • IPO
  • listing
  • listing rules
  • london main market
  • London Market
  • London Stock Exchange
  • London Stock Exhange
  • Ricardo
  • takeover
  • takeover bid
  • Takeovers
  • UK economy

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

More from Morning Wire

  • Options Announces CIX Trading, Canada’s Newest Alternative Trading System (ATS)

    Business Wire
  • Aviva profits jump following Direct Line acquisition

    Insurance
    Aviva's deal to buy Direct Line was agreed in March
  • Grant Thornton set for $5bn CBIZ buyout in landmark accountancy deal

    Accountancy
    Grant Thornton office building exterior at dusk with illuminated logo and windows, purple sky.
  • Organigram Reports Record Third Quarter Fiscal 2026 Results

    Business Wire
  • Conflicts in Ukraine and the Middle East boost Cohort’s order book

    Investing
    UK defence strategy meeting, officials discussing military advancements and security measures in a conference room setting
  • FCA charges City lawyer with insider dealing over maternity brand acquisition

    Legal
    The FCA said in June any scheme must keep the market afloat in order to curb rising costs for consumers.
  • Competition watchdog clears Paramount Warner Bros acquisition

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
  • Dream Accelerates Growth of Asset Management Platform With Acquisition of Chancerygate, a Leading U.K.-Based Industrial Asset Manager and Developer

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook