Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 19 August 2014 12:26 pm  |  Updated:  Friday 07 June 2019 5:47 am

Balfour Beatty share price leaps as Carillion raises merger offer

By: Lynsey Barber

Add as a preferred source on Google

Carillion has upped its offer for Balfour Beatty for a third time as the deadline looms for a potential mega-merger between the two construction firms.

The renewed offer values Balfour Beatty at more than £2bn and offers shareholders a 58.27 per cent share in the new company, up on the previous offer of 56.5 per cent.

The offer also represents a premium of 36 per cent on the value of shares the month prior to the news of the merger talks.

Balfour Beatty's share price leapt nearly four per cent in afternoon trading and Carillion shares were up slightly. Shareholders were presumably encouraged further when Balfour, which has until now been firmly against a deal, said it would "consider" it.

Carillion said it “continues to believe in the powerful strategic logic of a merger with Balfour Beatty” ahead of the 5pm Thursday deadline under UK takeover rules.

This could mean talks resume between the two companies, which would be likely to result in an extension to the deadline at the request of Balfour Beatty. Carillion said it expects to make a firm offer within four weeks, after due diligence, if Balfour Beatty choose to re-engage in the talks.

Chairman Philip Green said:

Given the scale of the prize for shareholders of both Balfour Beatty and Carillion from a merger of the two companies, the Board of Carillion remains committed to moving forward in a constructive and collaborative way with the Board and management of Balfour Beatty to create a world-class business and very significant value for the shareholders of both companies.

One of the sticking points in the negotiations so far has been Balfour Beatty's US engineering firm, Parsons Brinckerhoff. The company is said to be in advanced negotiations to sell Parsons to Canadian firm WSP Global for around $1.2bn (£717m), although Carillion wants Balfour to keep hold of the firm. 

Last week Balfour disputed figures by Carillion suggesting the two could make cost savings of £175m from the deal.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Balfour Beatty
  • Carillion
  • Company
  • Mergers and acquisitions

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • Balfour Beatty ups profit forecasts as it defies construction gloom

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Balfour Beatty construction site showcasing cranes, workers, and building progress against a city skyline backdrop
  • Astrazeneca share price tumbles on $400bn megamerger talks

    Investing
    Astrazeneca headquarters with logo, reflecting commitment to reduce US medicine prices after Trump administration pressure
  • Barratt Redrow urges Burnham to slash tax to boost housebuilders

    Property
    Barratt and Redrow partnership announcement showcasing executives shaking hands in a modern office setting
  • FTSE 100 property firm slams ‘opportunistic, one-sided, inadequate’ takeover offer

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • ITV hands shareholders £100m returns after £1.6bn Sky deal

    Media
    Studios revenue rose three per cent to £893m, driven by an 11 per cent jump in external sales to streaming platforms.
  • Competition watchdog clears Paramount Warner Bros acquisition

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook