Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,752.48
+0.23%
DAX
26,087.86
-0.16%
CAC 40
8,521.25
+0.14%
STOXX 50
6,457.43
-0.17%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 26 June 2019 9:21 pm

Carney warns that Woodford-style funds are ‘built on a lie’

By: James Booth

Add as a preferred source on Google

The governor of the Bank of England Mark Carney blasted funds like Neil Woodford’s today which he said were “built on a lie”. 

Woodford’s flagship £3.7bn Equity Income Fund was frozen earlier this month after it was hit by a wave of withdrawals it could not meet.

Carney told MPs on the Treasury Committee that the way these types of funds are regulated should be changed.

“These funds are built on a lie which is that you can have daily liquidity for assets that fundamentally aren’t liquid,” he said.

Carney said offering clients instant access to their money from funds that were illiquid could make investors complacent about risk.

The current approach “leads to an expectation for individuals that it’s not that different from having money in a bank,” he said.

“We do have to be very deliberate about the types of measures that need to be taken — something that better aligns the redemption terms with the actual liquidity of the underlying investment is infinitely preferable to the situation we have today,” he said.

Carney warned that the risks that could build up in illiquid funds could cause a serious economic shock.

“This is a big deal. You can see something that could be systemic,” he said.

Read more

Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.

Carney also said markets were increasingly worried about the prospect of a no-deal Brexit.

“Market expectations of no deal have gone up in recent months,” he said. 

“The degree of uncertainty [for businesses] is as high as it was just prior to the 29 March deadline. If you squint marginally it’s gone up a bit. 

“As best as I can tell, this uncertainty effect that has been weighing on business, and particularly business investment, is continuing to operate. 

“Expectations of no deal have gone up in markets, that uncertainty is still there for business and that is affecting the short term economic performance.”

He hinted that the Bank would cut interest rates if the UK left the EU without a deal. 

“It’s more likely that we would provide some stimulus in that event [no-deal Brexit],” he said

Carney said the Bank had not included no-deal Brexit risks in its economic forecasts, noting that both Conservative Party leadership candidates – Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt – had said it was preferable to reach a deal with the EU if possible.

“In the event that the policy of the government were to switch, the forecast of the Bank of England would switch accordingly,” he said.

Read more

Francisco Partners Closes $21 Billion Across Flagship and Agility Funds

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics

Categories

  • Economics
  • Markets

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

    Banking
    Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.
  • Francisco Partners Closes $21 Billion Across Flagship and Agility Funds

    Business Wire
  • U.S. Bank Investment Services enhances investor and client onboarding experience for alternative investments

    Business Wire
  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for certain sub-funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for Certain Sub-Funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
  • Burnham backs plan to pump £1bn pension funds into start-ups

    Investing
    Man in suit and red tie speaking at a podium to an audience in a modern building.
  • Swiss Pension Funds Increase Commitments to Record Infrastructure Equity Fund to EUR 1.23 Billion

    Business Wire
  • Oxane Partners Announces Strategic Growth Investment From TA

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook