Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 20 June 2022 3:20 pm

‘Carrie-gate’ swells as Downing Street admits it did speak to The Times before story about £100k job for Boris Johnson’s girlfriend was dropped

By: Michiel Willems

Add as a preferred source on Google
The Times headline that appeared on page 5, before vanishing from later editions

In a dramatic new development, Downing Street reluctantly admitted this afternoon there were indeed talks between Number 10 and The Times before Rupert Murdoch-owned newspaper dropped a story that claimed Boris Johnson tried to appoint his now wife to a Government role when he was Foreign Secretary.

According to the story in The Times on Saturday, Johnson attempted to hire Carrie Johnson – his mistress at the time as the PM was still married to his ex-wife Marina – as his chief of staff on a salary for £100k per annum at the Foreign Office in 2018.

The report was pulled from later editions of the paper, sparking questions over whether No 10 applied political pressure on its editors.

The Prime Minister’s spokesperson on Monday acknowledged there had been contact between Downing Street and The Times before and after the story was published.

Asked whether there were conversations after its initial publication specifically, the spokesperson told reporters: “That’s my understanding”.

He refused to say “who spoke to who”, but denied that it was Johnson himself.

“I’ve checked and I’ve been assured that he hasn’t spoken to anyone,” he said. “I’m not aware of any calls by the PM.”

The spokesperson added that “it is entirely a matter for publications, for journalists to decide on what they write”.

Last week’s article in The Times, which was later pulled

On the allegations originally reported by The Times, he did not directly refute them but pointed to earlier denials by a spokesperson for Mrs Johnson, who said: “These claims are totally untrue.”

Read more

Watch out, Burnham

Man in The Passage apron slicing food in a commercial kitchen, with a food allergens chart visible.

Mr Johnson’s spokesperson told journalists: “As a function of my role, I don’t comment on what the Prime Minister did before he was Prime Minister.

“I think my political colleagues have over the weekend made clear that the story’s not true as has Mrs Johnson’s spokesperson.

“I’m pointing to the on-the-record denials that have been made over the weekend”.

The spokesperson added that Mr Johnson “believes in hiring the right people for the right roles”.

The author of The Times’ story, veteran journalist Simon Walters, said he stood by the story “100%”.

“I was in lengthy and detailed communication with No 10 at a high level, Ben Gascoigne and Mrs Johnson’s spokeswoman for up to 48 hours before the paper went to press. At no point did any of them offer an on-the-record denial of any element of the story,” he told The New European.

“Nor have any of these three offered an on-the-record denial to me since. No 10 and Mr Gascoigne did not deny it off-the-record either.”

veteran journalist Simon Walters

The Prime Minister’s former chief aide Dominic Cummings has supported the claims and alleged Mr Johnson also wanted to appoint his wife to a Government job in late 2020.

Mr Cummings tweeted: “The ‘missing story’ (pulled by Times after no10 call Fri night) is true. Walters repeatedly published accurate stories, e.g on illegal donations. Times pathetic to have folded & shd reverse ferret. Truth is worse! (Johnson) wanted to appoint girlfriend to gvt job in Q3 2020 too”.

Asked whether Mr Johnson attempted to give her a Government job while he was in Downing Street, his spokesperson said: “Again my understanding is that claim is also untrue but these claims have been reported before and denied”.

Read more

Should Burnham dash for an early election?

Andy Burnham, wearing a dark suit and glasses, speaks outdoors with trees in the background.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Boris Johnson

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Watch out, Burnham

    watches
    Man in The Passage apron slicing food in a commercial kitchen, with a food allergens chart visible.
  • Should Burnham dash for an early election?

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, wearing a dark suit and glasses, speaks outdoors with trees in the background.
  • Exclusive: Former Formula 1 figure invests £100k into new Pacer app dubbed ‘Sports Tinder’

    Sport
    White Martini Racing Formula 1 car on a grey track with green grass borders, in motion during a race.
  • Britain’s problem isn’t too much Thatcherism, but too little

    Opinion
    Margaret Thatcher smiling outside 10 Downing Street during her tenure as UKs longest-serving Prime Minister in the 20th ce...
  • Jonathan Reynolds’ industrial strategy is straight out of the 60s

    Opinion
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Billionaire Bill Ackman donates £300m to brain research centre after daughter suffers haemorrhage

    Pharma
    Billionaire hedge fund investor Bill Ackman was beaten in straight sets after he made his ATP Tour debut.
  • What are we to make of John Healey? Time will tell.

    Economics
    John Healey - Chancellor
  • Todd Boehly and Mark Walter to sell stakes in Chelsea?

    Sport Business
    Football fans protest in the street holding a banner: Blueco Clearlake Boehly Wyss Feliciano & Eghbali Youre Destroying Ou...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook