Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,731.87
+0.04%
DAX
26,104.59
-0.09%
CAC 40
8,534.06
+0.29%
STOXX 50
6,472.30
+0.06%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 22 September 2020 6:56 pm

City firms begin to send workers home after new government rules

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google

City firms have begun to send workers home after the government today told people to begin working from home again where they can.

About 1,000 Barclays staff will revert to home working due to the new coronavirus advice, the bank said today.

Although around 22,000 employees had remained working from the lender’s offices during the pandemic as key workers, hundreds had begun to return to the office as lockdown restrictions were eased.

However, with the government’s u-turn on working from home today, they will resume previous arrangements, a spokesperson for the bank told Reuters.

Staff at insurance market Lloyd’s of London have also been asked to work from home, a spokesperson said, although its underwriting room will remain open.

The new advice comes just weeks after the government took steps to urge staff back to their places of work in a bid to rejuvenate the country’s abandoned city centres.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a number of new restrictions, including a 10pm curfew on pubs and restaurants, as ministers seek to tackle a growing number of coronavirus cases.

A number of other large banks are expected to follow Barclays’ lead and send workers home under the new restrictions.

Read more

Labour’s ‘chaotic’ zero-hour crackdown could cost firms £3bn per year

Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in a suit and glasses, looking serious against a bright sky.

French lender Societe Generale said that it was “adapting its position in line with UK government guidance”, although it did not specify how many workers will be sent home.

Business groups were united in calls for the government to set out new support for companies after the change in guidance.

There are particular concerns over the job retention furlough scheme, which is due to come to an end at the end of next month.

The Bank of England, which previously had been opposed to extending the scheme, today said that it would do “everything we can” to help prop up the economy.

Meanwhile, chancellor Rishi Sunak is reportedly preparing to extend the country’s coronavirus loan schemes to the end of December.

But some have warned that businesses will need more support if they are to survive a second lockdown.

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) warned that while many firms had cash reserves to carry them through the first lockdown, further restrictions could prove devastating.

Roger Barker, director of policy at the Institute of Directors (IoD) said: “With the return of more restrictions, the onus is squarely on the Government to set out the next phase of its support.”

Read more

Burnham has a chance to build trust in AI

Andy Burnham discussing AI advancements at a business conference podium with delegates in the background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Coronavirus

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Labour’s ‘chaotic’ zero-hour crackdown could cost firms £3bn per year

    Economics
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in a suit and glasses, looking serious against a bright sky.
  • Burnham has a chance to build trust in AI

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham discussing AI advancements at a business conference podium with delegates in the background
  • Net zero and DEI targets cut from procurement rules as firms pressed to raise pay and hire NEETs

    Politics
    Louise Haigh, Andy Burnham, and another man smiling in front of a dark door with 10 visible.
  • If Burnham wants firms to hire young people, he needs to get out of their way

    Opinion
    Labour's Rachel Reeves has been urged to offer a tax relief to curb the number of Neets in the UK.
  • Staff would turn down promotion to keep flexibility at work

    Retail
    Keir Starmer is heading to China
  • Starmer’s final act will expose firms to more bogus equality claims

    Opinion
    Business conference attendees networking at a corporate event with banners and presentation screens in the background
  • Britain should look to Japan to manage its ageing population

    Opinion
    Elderly pedestrians crossing a busy street in Tokyo, illustrating Japans ageing population challenge.
  • Rolls-Royce shares rise as Burnham pledges investment in British defence

    Politics
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, wearing a suit and tie, addressing current political issues in Manchester.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook