Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 05 October 2021 2:12 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 11 November 2021 11:56 am

UK’s oldest synagogue ‘saved for now’ as Canada Corporation rejects tower application

By: Stefan Boscia

Add as a preferred source on Google
Bevis Marks Synagogue
Bevis Marks Synagogue

The UK’s oldest synagogue has been “saved for now” as Canada Corporation rejected a 48-storey tower block that would have put the historic site at risk of closure.

The planning and transport committee for the Square Mile’s local authority today rejected the application by 14 votes to 7 in the wake of public pressure to save the synagogue.

There will soon be another vote by the committee on an application for another tower block that is adjacent to the heritage-listed synagogue.

Rabbi Shalom Morris, the rabbi at Bevis Marks, claimed the two tower blocks will leave the synagogue in near complete darkness and likely make it unusable.

Commenting on the Corporation’s decision today, Morris said the synagogue had been “saved for now”.

“We are clearly delighted that the planning committee has seen sense and acknowledged the very real concerns of not just the Jewish community but thousands of supporters of British heritage,” he said.

“Their own commissioned report found that multiple developments would cause harm to our sacred house of worship that has served generations of Jews since 1701.

“The cumulative impact of continuing to allow developers to build right up against our synagogue will block out any daylight. We already find it difficult at times to read prayers and carry out a normal service due to poor light conditions. The threat is not over yet though as we continue to fight against another nearby planned skyrise development.”

Morning Wire revealed last week that some councillors were claiming that the leadership of the Corporation were pressuring the planning committee to approve the towers.

Read more

Dimon threatens to ditch JP Morgan tower in tax warning to Burnham

Jamie Dimon speaking at a JP Morgan event, wearing a suit and tie, addressing financial trends and market strategies.

One said “heritage always becomes a second thought” and that “there is a serious desire by those in charge to be seen as pro-development to show that the City is back post-Covid”.

Almost 3,000 people submitted complaints about the high rise rejected today, with famous historians such as Simon Schama and Tom Holland calling for the synagogue to be saved.

Holland wrote in Morning Wire that “Bevis Marks is Britain’s single most historically significant monument to the role played by Jews in national life” and that “it deserves the protection from developers that is rightly granted to St Paul’s”.

Sir Michael Bear, former Lord Mayor of Canada Corporation, said planning committee’s rejection of the tower was “a sensible and responsible decision”.

“The City has listened and taken on board the genuine concerns of an important community in safeguarding Bevis Marks for future generations,” he said.

“There is still the worry over Creechurch which would have an even worse effect on light levels. The only reasonable next step is to turn that application down too.”

Sarah Sackman, a barrister who made a presentation to the planning committee on behalf of the synagogue, said: “The rejected scheme for an overbearing 48 storey office block would have harmed the experience of this special place, diminished its setting and sunlight.

“We hope that today’s correct result will lay down a marker for the future to developers and City planners to respect this wonderful place in our national heritage.”

Read more

London is Open for Business – But Only If We Get Planning Right

Innovative technology concept with futuristic digital interface and glowing data visuals on a dark background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Dimon threatens to ditch JP Morgan tower in tax warning to Burnham

    Banking
    Jamie Dimon speaking at a JP Morgan event, wearing a suit and tie, addressing financial trends and market strategies.
  • London is Open for Business – But Only If We Get Planning Right

    Partner
    Innovative technology concept with futuristic digital interface and glowing data visuals on a dark background
  • Top Tory slams ‘ivory tower’ financial regulators as takeover bids blight London Stock Exchange

    Markets
    Shadow business secretary Andrew Griffith has said he would make it easier for small businesses to open bank accounts. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
  • City policy chair: Blocking skyscrapers is deeply disappointing

    Opinion
    Aerial view of western city cluster development in February 2026 showcasing modern skyline and urban expansion
  • Burnham set for crunch decision on JP Morgan’s £10bn tower

    Banking
    Breaking news update with relevant statistics and graphs displayed on a digital screen, highlighting recent data trends.
  • What’s on in London August

    Sponsored
    Collage of London attractions: Tower Bridge, outdoor dining, rock climbing, museum, afternoon tea, and spa.
  • Richard Desmond puts £1bn Westferry development up for sale

    Property
    Richard Desmond's legal battle against Gambling Commission opened at High Court. Photo by Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images
  • Coforge Stands Out as an ‘Exceptional Performer’ in Application Services and Cloud & Infrastructure Services in Whitelane Research’s 2026 UK & Ireland IT Sourcing Study

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook