Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 02 July 2026 12:38 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 02 July 2026 12:52 pm

City watchdog suspends parts of £9bn motor finance scheme after industry backlash

By: Samuel Norman

Senior City Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
The FCA has appointed Liam Coleman interim chair of the FOS.
The FCA is overhauling the old system

The UK’s financial watchdog has suspended parts of its under-fire £9bn motor finance redress scheme amid fierce backlash from industry and consumer groups.

In a statement on Thursday, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) said the suspension will require firms to continue preparations for its scheme but avoid work that “may need to be repeated” if challenges succeed.

The suspension comes after an order from the Upper Tribunal ahead of the regulator’s legal battle with Volkswagen Financial Services, Mercedes Benz Financial Services, and Crédit Agricole Auto Finance. Consumer Voice is also bringing forward a challenge represented by Courmacs Legal.

Captive lenders – which refer to the likes of Volkswagen and Mercedes’ financial arms that are owned entirely by the car manufacturer – landed a major reprieve in the suspension. Previously they were required to notify a consumer by January 2027 if they were planning to reject a complaint by proving they met an exemption of having a clear contractual tie to the manufacturer, namely through visible branding.

But as part of the suspension, the firms will not have to issue these rejections and are permitted to pause processing and communicating those rejections until the ruling.

Motor finance lenders will also not have to figure out exactly how much money a consumer is owed and do not have to pay out any compensation to those owed whilst the legal challenge is ongoing.

Lenders will also be completely exempt from following deadlines for calculating, communicating and paying out redress until the Upper Tribunal process concludes. Hearings are expect to take place as late as February 2027.

Should the scheme be overturned at the Tribunal, the FCA said it may instead “tell lenders to resolve complaints individually under the usual complaints process” as a way to avoid delaying compensation into 2028 “or beyond”.

Motor finance heads back to legal arena

The return to the legal arena comes after the motor finance scandal – which relates to ‘secret’ commission deals between lenders and dealers – travelled through the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.

Read more

Investors risk losing life savings with unregulated services, watchdog warns

The FCA has introduced new proposals to close the financial advice gap.

The highest court in the land ruled in the favour of lenders last August on two out of three cases brought to the Justices, but the door was opened for an industry-wide redress scheme on the grounds of ‘unfairness’ after the commission charged to one consumer was found to be outsized.

The FCA published its finalised proposals at the end of March, where lenders were put on the hook for £9.1bn, lower than previously expected, after the number of qualifying agreements was slimmed to 12.1m from 14.2m.

The regulator sent letters, seen by Morning Wire, to more than 100 motor finance firms earlier this month raising concerns with how the sector planned to implement the redress program.

“We are very concerned about many firms’ operational readiness to handle complaints,” the letter said.

Challenges to the scheme have been filed on the FCA’s application of the law relating to limitation periods, which affects whether consumers have suffered loss or damage for which compensation is payable.

The regulator said in May it had received a challenge by at least one of the applicants regarding the alleged unlawful interference with lenders’ property rights under the Human Rights Act 1998. 

Manufacturers have led the charge for the financial services industry, with a number of the City’s banking giants with exposure choosing not to challenge the scheme.

Lloyds Banking Group – which has set aside £2bn in payouts – said whilst it was “disappointed” it would not challenge the scheme. Meanwhile, Santander raised its provisions to £640m leading to a first-quarter profit hit but the Spanish banking giant has also confirmed it will not challenge the scheme.



Read more

Zilch, Clearscore among five UK scale-ups to get dedicated FCA support

PhilandSean ZilchCo founders discussing business strategy in an office setting, highlighting innovative leadership and tea...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking
  • Business
  • Legal
  • Regulation

People & Organisations

  • bank
  • bank accounts
  • banking
  • banks
  • close brothers
  • COnsumer
  • Consumer confidence
  • FCA
  • Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
  • ford
  • LLoyds
  • Lloyds Bank
  • Lloyds Banking
  • Lloyds Banking Group
  • mercedes
  • Mercedes-Benz
  • motor finance
  • motor finance review
  • motor finance scandal
  • regulation
  • Regulation UK
  • Santander
  • Supreme Court
  • The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
  • Volkswagen
  • watchdog

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Investors risk losing life savings with unregulated services, watchdog warns

    Regulation
    The FCA has introduced new proposals to close the financial advice gap.
  • Zilch, Clearscore among five UK scale-ups to get dedicated FCA support

    Tech
    PhilandSean ZilchCo founders discussing business strategy in an office setting, highlighting innovative leadership and tea...
  • Meet the top lawyer challenging Gianni Infantino’s Fifa power play

    Law
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, waves to a crowd with a blue and gold patterned background
  • Robinhood offers crypto asset tied to FCA warning list

    Crypto
    Hands holding a smartphone displaying a trading platform with cryptocurrency charts and buy/sell buttons, a blurred monito...
  • Travelodge boss quits amid backlash over hotel sexual assault

    Hospitality
    Travelodge London Central Elephant & Castle sign with a blurred red double-decker bus in the background
  • Investors ‘may be less than impressed’ by John Healey’s £9bn borrowing plans 

    Economics
    Man in suit and red tie speaking at a podium to an audience in a modern building.
  • Government to inject millions into electric vehicle firms despite mandate backlash

    Politics
    Car bodies on an assembly line in a UK car plant, showcasing EV manufacturing process
  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for Certain Sub-Funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook