Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 03 December 2025 7:33 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 03 December 2025 7:34 am

City watchdog to lift motor finance complaints pause earlier than expected

By: Samuel Norman

Senior City Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Car sold on sale forecourt, highlighting successful transaction in automotive market, emphasizing vehicle purchase trends
The motor finance row continues to rumble on.

The City watchdog has lifted the cap on motor finance complaints following the landmark ruling from the Supreme Court over the summer.

The Financial Conduct Authority said it would ditch the pause on complaints from 31 May 2026 – two months ahead of plan.

In a letter sent to banking bosses, the FCA has also said firms would have to retain and preserve relevant records until 11 April 2031 to support the transparency of the scheme.

“We have been clear that complaints cannot be paused indefinitely,” Sheree Howard, the regulator’s executive director of authorisations, wrote in the letter.

Howard added: “The pause should not be interpreted as a reason to delay work unnecessarily”.

The pause has been in place since January 2024, when complaints volumes rocketed as concerns around the use of discretionary commission arrangements – ‘secret’ deals between car brokers and banks – emerged.

The concerns led to a review by the regulator, with the saga since having scaled to the Supreme Court after a controversial Court of Appeal ruling put lenders on the hook for up to £40bn.

In August, the UK’s top court handing down its ruling on the car mis-selling scandal and provided legal clarity for lenders and regulators.

Motor finance row revs up

The FCA has continued to face criticism for its handling of its industry-wide motor finance redress, which has been accused of straying from the Supreme Court’s ruling.

Last month, the FCA said it would push back the deadline – initially scheduled for 18 November – to 12 December at 5:00pm.

Lloyds Banking Group – which owns the UK’s largest car finance provider Black Horse – was forced to hike provisions to £2bn from £1.2bn after details of the scheme emerged in October.

Read more

Meet the top lawyer challenging Gianni Infantino’s Fifa power play

Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, waves to a crowd with a blue and gold patterned background

While FTSE 250 lender Close Brothers near-doubled its funds set aside to £300m and Barclays almost quadrupled its provisions to £325m.

Santander UK pulled the plug on its third-quarter results in October, citing uncertainty in the motor finance sector, as bank chief Mike Regnier called for the government to consider stepping in to help mediate.

He warned if the government does not intervene “the unintended consequences for the car finance market, the supply of credit and the resulting negative impact on the automotive industry and its supply chain could significantly impact jobs, growth and the broader UK economy.”

A key area of contention concerns the assessment of “unfair” – the criteria the Supreme Court upheld in one claimant’s case against lenders.

The top Court ruled in favour of one of three claimants after finding their outsize commission of 55 per cent was “unfair”.

However, the FCA has said the threshold for its redress – where 14.2m agreements are estimated to be eligible – will be 35 per cent.

There has also been equal backlash on the consumer front, with the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Fair Banking blasting the City watchdog for a “£4.4bn gap” in the proposed scheme. 

The group accused the regulator of being “influenced by the profit margins of the lenders”.

The FCA said: “It’s important we receive as much evidence as possible on specific concerns through the consultation as well as alternative suggestions if respondents don’t agree with our proposals.

“We’ll consider all the evidence and ideas received before taking final decisions.”

Read more

Investors risk losing life savings with unregulated services, watchdog warns

The FCA has introduced new proposals to close the financial advice gap.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking
  • Business

People & Organisations

  • banking
  • banks
  • Barclays
  • challenger banks
  • close brothers
  • FCA
  • Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
  • LLoyds
  • Lloyds Banking
  • Lloyds Banking Group
  • motor finance
  • motor finance review
  • motor finance scandal
  • Nikhil Rathi
  • regulation
  • Regulation UK
  • regulator
  • Supreme Court
  • The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Meet the top lawyer challenging Gianni Infantino’s Fifa power play

    Law
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, waves to a crowd with a blue and gold patterned background
  • Investors risk losing life savings with unregulated services, watchdog warns

    Regulation
    The FCA has introduced new proposals to close the financial advice gap.
  • Exclusive: Twickenham residents branded anti-fun NIMBYs in rugby stadium row

    Sport Business
    Rugby stadium interior with large screen displaying Red Roses v Ireland, goalposts, and empty green seats
  • Apple gears up for fresh legal fight with government

    Lawsuit
    Apple unveils new products at recent event showcasing innovative technology and sleek design to global audience
  • HSBC kicks off $1bn share buyback after profit smashes forecast

    Banking
    HSBC's stock has taken a hit due to the huge tariffs slapped on Asian countries.
  • Tory and Labour councillors spar over £300m Hammersmith Bridge plans

    Politics
    Hammersmith Bridge spanning the River Thames, surrounded by lush greenery and clear blue skies, capturing its iconic archi...
  • Competition watchdog clears Paramount Warner Bros acquisition

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
  • Zilch, Clearscore among five UK scale-ups to get dedicated FCA support

    Tech
    PhilandSean ZilchCo founders discussing business strategy in an office setting, highlighting innovative leadership and tea...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook