Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,726.82
-0.22%
DAX
26,390.33
-0.19%
CAC 40
8,587.27
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,540.47
+0.01%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 21 April 2022 2:35 pm

Coastguard inspects another two P&O ships as company hopes to set sail soon

By: Ilaria Grasso Macola

Add as a preferred source on Google
UK Daily Life 2022
P&O launched an investigation after a vessel lost power at sea.(Photo by Hollie Adams/Getty Images)

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) announced today it was inspecting another two of P&O’s ships as the company hopes to resume normal operations soon.

MCA agents said they were inspecting the European Highlander, which operates on Northern Ireland to Scotland routes, and the Norbay, which serves Liverpool to Dublin.

“Our surveyors are carrying out a full inspection of the P&O ferry, European Highlander, before it returns to service to make sure it complies with international regulations on manning and safe operation, in particular emergency procedures such as firefighting and evacuating the ship,” a MCA spokesperson said.

“There are no further inspections of P&O Ferries at the moment but we will reinspect when requested by P&O Ferries.”

Following last month’s sacking of 800 seafarers, P&O has been subject to intense government scrutiny. 

Transport secretary Grant Shapps ordered the coast guard to inspect all eight of P&O’s vessels, to make sure crews were “safe and properly trained.”

As of today, two vessels – the Spirit of Britain and the Pride of Kent – remain in MCA custody while two others have been cleared to sail. The remaining two will be inspected in the coming weeks. 

Despite the scandal, the group hoped to resume normal operations before Easter but has been forced to slash all Dover to Calais services for the time being.

Analysts have warned that the ferry operator could face bankruptcy as its safety rating sank to the lowest, potentially causing sky-high bills. 

“This fall from a medium rating to now the lowest one will see P&O face a sky-high insurance bill,” Bruce Hepburn, chief executive of London-based insurance buyer Mactavish, told Morning Wire

“Combined with increased insurance costs and the redundancy bill, the company may be in danger of bankruptcy.”

Read more

British consultants face slowdown as corporate spending slumps

London office workers collaborating on AI and tech projects, surrounded by computers and digital interfaces in a modern wo...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Shipping

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • British consultants face slowdown as corporate spending slumps

    Consulting
    London office workers collaborating on AI and tech projects, surrounded by computers and digital interfaces in a modern wo...
  • Construction sector cuts jobs again as house building slumps

    Industrials
    Rachel Reeves at construction site, inspecting housebuilding progress, highlighting Labours commitment to housing developm...
  • Burnham’s cost of living push under threat as oil hits $100

    Markets
    Two men stand in the ocean with multiple oil tankers and cargo ships in the hazy distance.
  • As it happened: Stocks reverse losses after Trump threatens harder strikes on Iran; Oil at four-week high

    Markets
    Donald Trump has threatened to sue the BBC for $1bn
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking at a podium, microphone visible, discussing the Strait of Hormuz
  • Trump reinstates US blockade of Strait of Hormuz

    Markets
    Iranian military vessels patrol the strategic Strait of Hormuz amidst escalating tensions in the region
  • Exclusive: Saudi ship struck by Houthis had insurance from Lloyd’s insurance giant

    Insurance
    Rising borrowing costs depicted amid escalating tensions following the Iran war, illustrating economic impact on global ma...
  • Easyjet shares crash on fears of EU probe

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook