Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,769.60
+0.18%
DAX
26,452.27
+0.05%
CAC 40
8,625.17
-0.13%
STOXX 50
6,560.25
+0.32%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 07 October 2016 10:08 am

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos wins Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end 50-year-long civil war

By: Francesca Washtell

Add as a preferred source on Google

Colombia's President Juan Manuel Santos has been awarded the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize for his "resolute efforts to bring the country's more than 50-year-long civil war to an end", the committee announced this morning. 

Santos was selected by the Norwegian Nobel committee from a closely-guarded list of 376 candidates, comprised of 228 individuals and 148 organisations. 

He has been the leader of the South American country since 2010 and last month signed a peace agreement with left-wing guerilla Farc rebels after four years of negotiations. 

Speaking this afternoon, Santos dedicated the prize to the people of Colombia "who have suffered so much in this war". 

Previous winners have included Pakistani women's rights advocate Malala Yousafzai, the European Union, US President Barack Obama and Burmese leader Aung San Suu Kyi since the prize was launched in 1901.

Read more: Which country has the most Nobel Prize winners?

In a statement, the committee said:

President Santos initiated the negotiations that culminated in the peace accord between the Colombian government and the Farc guerrillas, and he has consistently sought to move the peace process forward. Well knowing that the accord was controversial, he was instrumental in ensuring that Colombian voters were able to voice their opinion concerning the peace accord in a referendum.

Shaky ground for Nobel Prize to stand on

Despite efforts to bring an end to the 52-year conflict, this week Colombians rejected Santos' deal by 50.2 per cent 49.8 per cent. 

The Nobel committee said the outcome of the vote "was not what President Santos wanted" and had created "great uncertainty as to the future of Colombia", as the peace accord cannot now be implemented.

Read more: British scientist among Nobel chemistry laureates for molecular research

"There is a real danger that the peace process will come to a halt and that civil war will flare up again," the Nobel committee added.

This makes it even more important that the parties, headed by President Santos and Farc guerrilla leader Rodrigo Londoño, continue to respect the ceasefire.

The fact that a majority of the voters said no to the peace accord does not necessarily mean that the peace process is dead. The referendum was not a vote for or against peace. What the "no" side rejected was not the desire for peace, but a specific peace agreement.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee emphasises the importance of the fact that President Santos is now inviting all parties to participate in a broad-based national dialogue aimed at advancing the peace process. Even those who opposed the peace accord have welcomed such a dialogue. 

The committee added that by awarding the prize to Santos, it wished to encourage "all those who are striving to achieve peace, reconciliation and justice in Colombia".

Read more: What makes a Nobel Prize winner?

Some commentators believed the referendum "no" vote would lead the Nobel committee to suspend this year's prize if Santos had won.

Other organisations such as the Western-funded Syrian volunteer force called the White Helmets were also believed to be in the running.  

Last year year, members of Tunisia's National Dialogue Quartet won the peace prize after paving the way for "peaceful dialogue" after the Arab Spring. 

The Nobel Prizes for physics and chemistry were announced this week, while the winner of the economics prize will be announced on Monday. 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • International

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Nobel Peace Prize maker’s UK arm seeks administrator

    Business
    Close-up of a golden Nobel Prize medal featuring Alfred Nobels profile on a dark, textured background.
  • Gianni Infantino: Democrats ask to quiz Fifa boss over Trump ‘corruption’ allegations

    Sport Business
    Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino smiling, looking upwards during an event.
  • As It Happened: Stocks dip as oil’s ‘slowing demand’ in focus; Iran threatens to extend war

    FTSE 100 Live
    People on a beach with cargo ships and a small boat in the Strait of Hormuz
  • Trump suspends strikes amid new peace hopes

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background
  • Housebuilder shares rally on Iran war peace hopes and help-to-buy revival

    Property
    Construction worker in high-visibility vest on a new house roof with red tiles, surrounded by scaffolding.
  • People read less: Do we still need the Booker Prize?

    Life&Style
    Collection of eight Booker Prize-nominated book covers, featuring various authors and titles.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 falls as Iran and US clash over Strait of Hormuz; Oil stockpiles ‘rapidly depleting’

    FTSE 100 Live
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • Iran war could ‘halt growth’ across UK economy 

    Economics
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, in a dark suit and glasses, listening intently at a wooden table.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook