Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 21 January 2022 7:30 am

Conservative Party infighting heats up as rebel Tory MPs mull publishing secret recording and ‘blackmail’ text messages

By: Michiel Willems

Add as a preferred source on Google
big ben london during nighttime
Photo by David Dibert on Pexels.com

Rebel Tory MPs are reportedly considering publishing a secret recording and text messages linked to allegations of “blackmail” from the Prime Minister’s supporters as infighting within the Conservative Party is intensifying.

Boris Johnson insisted on Thursday he had “seen no evidence” to support the claim made by senior Conservative William Wragg that his critics were facing “intimidation” as part of an effort to prevent him being ousted from office.

But The Times has reported that Tory MPs keen to see the back of Johnson have a secretly recorded “heated” conversation with the chief whip, as well as text messages to support the accusations.

Inquiry

It comes as Sue Gray, the senior official leading an inquiry into claims of rule-busting gatherings across Government, was said to have found an email warning Mr Johnson’s principal private secretary Martin Reynolds against holding a drinks party in the No 10 garden during the first lockdown.

The email, sent by a senior official, told Mr Reynolds that the gathering “should be cancelled because it broke the rules”, according to ITV News.

Mr Johnson has admitted attending the gathering in question for 25 minutes on May 20 2020, but insisted he believed it was a work event, and that he was not warned it would be against the rules.

The PM has been battling claims that Tory critics are facing “intimidation” which could amount to blackmail as part of an effort to keep him in post.

Mr Wragg said on Thursday he had received reports of conduct including “members of staff at 10 Downing Street, special advisers, government ministers and others encouraging the publication of stories in the press seeking to embarrass those who they suspect of lacking confidence in the Prime Minister”.

“The intimidation of a Member of Parliament is a serious matter. Reports of which I am aware would seem to constitute blackmail,” the chairman of the Commons Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee said.

“As such it would be my general advice to colleagues to report these matters to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.”

Read more

Tory and Labour councillors spar over £300m Hammersmith Bridge plans

Hammersmith Bridge spanning the River Thames, surrounded by lush greenery and clear blue skies, capturing its iconic archi...

“I’ve seen no evidence, heard no evidence, to support any of those allegations.”

Boris Johnson on a visit to Taunton

He said he would “of course” look for evidence to support the claims, but No 10 suggested there were no plans to launch an investigation as demanded by Labour.

The Times reported that one Tory MP said they were told by a whip “you’re done” when voting against the Government last year.

The paper also claimed Tory rebels met on Thursday to discuss their next steps.

Mr Wragg is one of a handful of Tory backbenchers to have said publicly they have submitted a letter to the chairman of the backbench 1922 Committee, Sir Graham Brady, calling for a no-confidence vote in Mr Johnson’s leadership.

He said the conduct of the Government Whips’ Office threatening to withdraw public funding from MPs’ constituencies may have breached the ministerial code.

Christian Wakeford, the MP who defected from the Tories to Labour in protest at Mr Johnson’s leadership and the row over Downing Street parties, said he was threatened about the loss of a school in his constituency if he did not toe the line.

The Metropolitan Police said they would consider any complaints made to officers.

“As with any such allegations, should a criminal offence be reported to the Met, it would be considered,” a spokesman said.

On the reports Ms Gray had found an email warning Mr Reynolds against holding a Downing Street drinks party, No 10 said it would not comment on the process of the ongoing investigation.

Read more

On This Day : Reagan declares: “We begin bombing in five minutes”

Ronald Reagan speaking at a podium with microphones, holding a paper, family photos visible in the background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Politics

Related Topics

  • Boris Johnson

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Tory and Labour councillors spar over £300m Hammersmith Bridge plans

    Politics
    Hammersmith Bridge spanning the River Thames, surrounded by lush greenery and clear blue skies, capturing its iconic archi...
  • On This Day : Reagan declares: “We begin bombing in five minutes”

    Opinion
    Ronald Reagan speaking at a podium with microphones, holding a paper, family photos visible in the background
  • On this day: ‘We begin bombing in five minutes’ – Reagan’s accidental broadcast

    Opinion
    Ronald Reagan at a podium in Washington in 1982, pointing to his right while speaking.
  • Row erupts over Tory plan to stop Soho pub goers standing up 

    Hospitality
    Bustling Soho street scene with vibrant storefronts, diverse pedestrians, and iconic London architecture under clear skies
  • Government to inject millions into electric vehicle firms despite mandate backlash

    Politics
    Car bodies on an assembly line in a UK car plant, showcasing EV manufacturing process
  • Nottingham Forest owner Marinakis sues Crystal Palace for defamation

    Sport Business
    Evangelos Marinakis, owner of Nottingham Forest, in a dark jacket and white shirt, looking serious at a stadium.
  • Trump regime distances itself from Infantino as under-fire Fifa boss faces calls to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino and Donald Trump holding the FIFA World Cup trophy
  • Should Burnham dash for an early election?

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, wearing a dark suit and glasses, speaks outdoors with trees in the background.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook