Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
0.00%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Saturday 07 March 2020 10:40 am  |  Updated:  Saturday 07 March 2020 9:37 am

Coronavirus: Donald Trump wants thousands left on Grand Princess cruise ship as 21 test positive

By: Michael Searles

Add as a preferred source on Google
Coronavirus

US President Donald Trump has said he would rather leave thousands of people on board the coronavirus-hit Grand Princess cruise ship as 21 people tested positive for Covid-19.

It was revealed on Friday that 21 people on the ship off the coast of California had tested positive for coronavirus.

The US vice-president Mike Pence confirmed that 19 of the infected patients had been crew members.

The ship was due to dock on Wednesday at San Francisco but was forced to wait off the coast at sea over fears there may be cases of coronavirus on board as people fell sick.

There are 3,500 passengers and crew on board, including more than 140 Britons.

Everyone on board is set to be tested although a plan on how and when is yet to be confirmed

Pence said the government was working with officials in California to bring the ship to a non-commercial port this weekend.

A military helicopter had been seen dropping supplies and test-kits onto the ship’s deck.

Pence added it was likely the infected crew members caught the virus on two different voyages and said that he expects the 1,110 staff members on board to be quarantined.

It comes as Trump said on Friday he would rather everyone remained on board, although he would let others make the decision to let them leave.

“I’d rather have them stay on, personally, but I fully understand if they want to take them off,” he told reporters.

The President has also signed bill to provide $8.3bn (£6.4bn) to support the country’s capacity to test for coronavirus and fund other measures.

Read more

I was first aboard Explora Journey’s new cruise ship. Does it beat the competition?

Luxury cruise ship Explora pool deck with lounge chairs and circular daybeds under a retractable glass roof

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Related Topics

  • Coronavirus
  • International

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • I was first aboard Explora Journey’s new cruise ship. Does it beat the competition?

    Life&Style
    Luxury cruise ship Explora pool deck with lounge chairs and circular daybeds under a retractable glass roof
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking at a podium, microphone visible, discussing the Strait of Hormuz
  • Strait of Hormuz ‘closed’ as Iran and US exchange strikes

    Economics
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • Donald Trump is creeping towards a shrewd sanctions policy

    Opinion
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
  • As it happened: Stocks rise; oil falls after Trump pauses Iran strikes

    Markets
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
  • As it happened: Choppy day for FTSE 100 after Iran closes Strait of Hormuz as strikes ramp up

    Markets
    Donald Trump delivering a speech at a podium during a formal event, emphasizing key points to an attentive audience.
  • As it happened: Stocks rally after US jobs report; Oil tumbles to pre-Iran war levels

    Markets
    The UK could enjoy a 50 per cent production boost without breaking its net-zero pledges
  • ‘I thought this would be drama-free’: Games Workshop pockets tariff reprieve

    Retail
    Games Workshop joined the FTSE 100 at the end of last year.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook