Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,810.28
+0.58%
DAX
26,117.98
+0.52%
CAC 40
8,479.18
+0.31%
STOXX 50
6,457.28
+0.55%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 20 March 2020 3:23 pm

Coronavirus: Jaguar Land Rover halts production at all UK plants

By: Finley Harnett

Add as a preferred source on Google
Coronavirus: Jaguar Land Rover halts production at all UK plants
Coronavirus: Jaguar Land Rover halts production at all UK plants

Britain’s largest car manufacturer Jaguar Land Rover is to suspend all production at its UK production plants from next week in an effort to minimise the spread of Covid-19.

The Coventry-based automotive firm, which has plants in Solihull, Bromwich and Halewood, said manufacturing would resume on 20 April, “subject to review of the rapidly-changing circumstances.” 

A company statement said: “As a responsible business, Jaguar Land Rover is operating in line with advice from the NHS and Public Health England to minimise the spread of the coronavirus, whilst implementing plans to safeguard its business continuity.”

“The company will work towards an orderly return to production once conditions permit,” the group added. 

Jaguar Land Rover’s operations are still continuing in Brazil, India and China. 

Its factory in Changshu, China, reopened in the week of 24 February “as life begins to get back to normal in the country”, the firm said. 

But sales in China are yet to rebound as its economy recovers from the worst of the virus, which has now killed more than 10,000 people.

Jaguar Land Rover’s decision comes as BMW, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Vauxhall ceased their manufacturing operations in the UK earlier in the week. 

Bentley Motors is the latest firm to suspend its UK production line due to the pandemic. It announced today it would close its Crewe factory for four weeks.  

Car manufacturers worldwide have been forced to halt production over coronavirus travel restrictions. Travel bans have played havoc with international supply lines and consumers limit all but essential contact.  

Ford announced yesterday that it would access $15.4bn in credit lines to weather the Covid-19 crisis. It is the largest drawdown of any major corporation since the pandemic started.

CEO Jim Hackett said: “Like we did in the Great Recession, Ford is managing through the coronavirus crisis in a way that safeguards our business, our workforce, our customers and our dealers during this vital period.”

Read more

Astrazeneca and Jaguar Land Rover given power to endorse talented migrants for visas

Jonathan Reynolds addressing the SMMT's annual International Automotive Summit (image courtesy of SMMT)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Coronavirus

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Astrazeneca and Jaguar Land Rover given power to endorse talented migrants for visas

    Politics
    Jonathan Reynolds addressing the SMMT's annual International Automotive Summit (image courtesy of SMMT)
  • Why Ian Callum’s Jaguar XJ220 is only half revealed

    Motoring
    Jaguar XJ220 supercar, front view, parked outdoors, news article image
  • Land Rover Defender OCTA: Can an Off-Road Super SUV Really Conquer the City?

    Sponsored
    Land Rover Defender
  • Rolls-Royce shares rise as Burnham pledges investment in British defence

    Politics
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, wearing a suit and tie, addressing current political issues in Manchester.
  • Anthony Hamilton’s cars – including a special jaguar – just sold for £2.9m, here’s why

    Life&Style
    Light blue David Brown Automotive Speedback GT sports car, front 3/4 view, at an auto show display.
  • Has Range Rover just abandoned the SUV?

    Motoring
    Range Rover GT side profile in camouflage wrap, parked in an anechoic chamber for acoustic testing.
  • New Aston Martin Valen is a V12 Vanquish with added attitude

    Life&Style
    Aston Martin Vanquish Vision Concept with a man in a suit presenting it in a design studio.
  • Is the Audi Q9 the poshest Audi yet?

    Life&Style
    Dark blue Audi Q9 SUV parked on concrete with a modern building and sunset sky in the background.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook