Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Saturday 27 January 2024 10:10 am  |  Updated:  Sunday 28 January 2024 2:36 pm

Culture Secretary makes new intervention in Abu Dhabi-backed Telegraph takeover

By: Morning Wire Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
The Telegraph is reportedly facing a government review over an attempted replacement of its finance chief amid a probe into a potential takeover by an Abu Dhabi-backed fund.
The Telegraph is reportedly facing a government review over an attempted replacement of its finance chief amid a probe into a potential takeover by an Abu Dhabi-backed fund.

The Culture Secretary has made a fresh intervention in the proposed takeover of the Telegraph Media Group (TMG) by an Abu Dhabi-backed fund.

Lucy Frazer has issued a new public interest intervention notice (PIIN) and extended the deadline for Ofcom and the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) to hand over the findings of their probes into the acquisition.

Her department has written to solicitors acting for the Barclay family and RedBird IMI, the current and proposed owners of TMG, to inform them of the decision, which was made over concerns for “the need for accurate presentation of news and free expression of opinion in newspapers”.

She had already triggered a PIIN in November to investigate the potential impact on press freedom if the Daily Telegraph and The Spectator were taken over by RedBird IMI as proposed.

The new deadline for Ofcom and the CMA to report is 9am on March 11, Ms Frazer said.

The fresh intervention comes after RedBird IMI, an investment fund majority owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, vice president of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), announced a new corporate structure to create a UK-based holding company for the Telegraph newspapers.

“Following the restructure, Redbird IMI Media Joint Venture, LCC is no longer part of the corporate structure of the proposed acquisition of TMG, as it has been replaced by RB IMI AIV Limited Partnership,” a letter from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) said to solicitors acting on behalf of Redbird IMI and RB Investco.

The merger means that RB Investco would “gain ownership and control over TMG”, which Ms Frazer notes is a “practical and technical step” taken to prove that RedBird IMI is an “entirely passive investor with absolutely no management or operational rights in relation to TMG”.

Read more

Competition watchdog clears Paramount Warner Bros acquisition

Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts

The letter added: “The Secretary of State considers that further investigation is needed to fully consider how the structural changes which you have made affect the public interest consideration, and whether any undertakings relating to editorial independence and ensuring IMI has no operational involvement, including editorial influence, in TMG are sufficient to address the public interest concerns.”

On Friday, the boss of TMG stepped down immediately from the newspaper publisher amid the proposed takeover.

Nick Hugh, who was head of the business since 2017, will be replaced by Anna Jones, who will become the media group’s first female boss.

She will be tasked with navigating the business through the turbulence of its attempted takeover.

The fund announced in November it had reached a deal with the Barclay family to take control of the newspaper group, and fellow publication The Spectator, by paying off debts owed to its bank, Lloyds.

The fresh government intervention comes after Andrew Neil, the chairman of The Spectator, became the latest to rally against the potential takeover, urging ministers to block the deal.

The journalist and broadcaster told the BBC he would quit his role with the 200-year-old publication if the “absurd” takeover goes ahead.

Press Association – Scott D’Arcy and Ellie Iorizzo

Read more

BT Openreach told to pull ‘unfair’ broadband discount

A sign at the headquarters building of BT Group Plc in Aldgate, (Photographer: Hollie Adams/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Media

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • Competition watchdog clears Paramount Warner Bros acquisition

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
  • BT Openreach told to pull ‘unfair’ broadband discount

    Telecoms
    A sign at the headquarters building of BT Group Plc in Aldgate, (Photographer: Hollie Adams/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
  • Modon’s Hudayriyat Golf Estates Sets UAE Record With More Than AED 13 Billion in Sales Within Days of Launch

    Business Wire
  • Sadiq Khan urges tougher Ofcom action as UK prepares social media ban rules

    Tech
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • Bitcoin Suisse Advances Middle East Expansion, Receiving Financial Services Permission in Abu Dhabi

    Business Wire
  • London Stock Exchange overhaul will ‘damage trust’, top investors warn

    Markets
    London's AIM stock exchange has struggled to attract IPOs in recent years.
  • Sky and ITV mount defence of £1.6bn merger as regulators probe deal

    Media
    Turnover at Sky increased in 2024.
  • ITV says ‘no guarantees’ on jobs after £1.6bn Sky deal

    Media
    Studios revenue rose three per cent to £893m, driven by an 11 per cent jump in external sales to streaming platforms.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook