Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,717.78
-0.24%
DAX
25,977.10
-0.44%
CAC 40
8,465.96
-0.42%
STOXX 50
6,424.85
-0.30%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 26 October 2021 6:57 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 26 October 2021 9:46 am

Deadline set in Prince Andrew’s civil sexual assault case coincides with Queen’s Jubilee next year

By: Michiel Willems

Add as a preferred source on Google
The businessman accused of being a Chinese spy was invited to Buckingham Palace by the Duke of York, it has been reported.
The businessman accused of being a Chinese spy was invited to Buckingham Palace by the Duke of York, it has been reported.

A judge in the US ruled last night UK time that depositions in the civil sexual assault case against the Duke of York must be completed by mid-July of next year, coinciding with the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

While not specified in the court papers, both Andrew and his accuser Virginia Giuffre are expected to answer questions under oath.

And depositions must be completed on or before July 14, district judge Lewis Kaplan, who serves in the Southern District of New York, said.

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations will take place in June, potentially setting up a clash with Andrew’s legal issues over the summer.

Andrew vehemently denies allegations he sexually assaulted Ms Giuffre when she was a teenager.

She is seeking unspecified damages from the 61-year-old, whose lawyer has dismissed the accusations as “baseless”.

In the scheduling order, signed by lawyers for both parties, the judge also ruled a pretrial order, which sets out the course of the case, is due by July 28.

And no additional parties are allowed to join the case after December 15.

Read more

Travelodge boss quits amid backlash over hotel sexual assault

Travelodge London Central Elephant & Castle sign with a blurred red double-decker bus in the background

Ms Giuffre claims she was trafficked by convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, the duke’s former friend, to have sex with Andrew when she was aged 17 and a minor under US law.

Andrew has not been charged with any crime.

Earlier this month the Metropolitan Police said it was taking no action over Ms Giuffre’s claims.

The case has proved ruinous for the duke’s image.

In a Newsnight interview with the BBC’s Emily Maitlis in November 2019, Andrew denied claims that he slept with Ms Giuffre on three separate occasions and said: “I can absolutely categorically tell you it never happened.

“I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever.”

The duke also said he has no memory of a well-known photograph of him with his arm around Ms Giuffre’s waist and has questioned whether it was his own hand in the image.

The fallout from the interview saw the royal criticised for showing a lack of empathy towards Epstein’s victims and a lack of remorse over his friendship with disgraced financier.

Read more

O’Brien can complete July Cup Mission

Mission Central headquarters bustling with diverse team members collaborating on innovative projects in a modern office se...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Travelodge boss quits amid backlash over hotel sexual assault

    Hospitality
    Travelodge London Central Elephant & Castle sign with a blurred red double-decker bus in the background
  • O’Brien can complete July Cup Mission

    Sport
    Mission Central headquarters bustling with diverse team members collaborating on innovative projects in a modern office se...
  • Andy Burnham is utterly delusional

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, expressing confidence despite challenges, highlighting leadership and resilie...
  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

    Lawsuit
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • The Simon Levy case proves some criminals can never be rehabilitated

    Opinion
    Simon Levy, a man with dark hair and a beard, looking directly at the camera.
  • Dante Mayfair at Claridge’s review: How about a five-martini dinner?

    Life&Style
    Elegant Dante Mayfair dining room with green booths, marble tables, floral centerpiece, and stained glass ceiling.
  • Lepas L8: China’s New SUV Means Business

    Life&Style
    Front view of a purple SUV, possibly a Lepas L8, with headlights on, on a dirt road against a cloudy sky.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook