Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,780.14
+0.28%
DAX
26,469.58
+0.11%
CAC 40
8,638.21
+0.02%
STOXX 50
6,566.66
+0.41%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 07 February 2019 4:54 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 1:34 am

Defence giant Babcock lays off 150 people at Scotland shipbuilding yard

Shipbuilder Babcock has announced a further 150 job losses at its shipyard in Rosyth, where work continues on the second of two aircraft carriers for the Royal Navy.

The firm’s shares were down 3.52 per cent on the news, which adds to a miserable last few months for investors in the defence contracting giant.

Read more: Babcock wins £100m aerial firefighting contract in Canada

A Babcock spokesperson said “we anticipate the loss of around 150 specific roles which are no longer needed,” after an assessment of the firm’s current workload and medium term opportunities.

The latest round of cuts brings the number of people laid off at the site in the last 18 months to 550, as the company approaches the end of its project building the Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier.

Babcock is the second-biggest supplier to the Ministry of Defence (MoD), and works on a range of major projects critical to national security including major work on the submarines which house the nuclear deterrent, Trident.

“Today’s workforce announcement is a continuation of the need to right size our organisation,” the spokesperson added.

The announcement met firm criticism from GMB union’s national chair of shipbuilding Ross Murdoch, who said workers were “paying the price for the government’s betrayal of UK shipbuilding”.

Murdoch added: “Rather than ensure a steady drumbeat of shipbuilding orders that keep the industry alive, the Conservatives seem content to let UK shipbuilding die out in the name of the free market.

“Appledore is on the brink of closure, Cammell Laird is slashing jobs and now this. When will the Government step in to save our centuries old shipbuilding heritage.”

An MoD spokesperson said: “Although this is a commercial decision for Babcock, we continue to invest in British shipbuilding as demonstrated by our Type 26 and Type 31e programmes.

Read more: Babcock ‘may never know’ who was behind report that shocked shares

“Babcock’s Royal Rosyth yard has played a key role in our Queen Elizabeth Class carrier programme and just last month was awarded a £5m contract to carry out maintenance on HMS Queen Elizabeth later this year.”

Babcock, which holds 128 government contracts including for nuclear and marine defence, has seen shares under pressure since late last year when an anonymous analyst’s note questioned the company’s relationship with the Ministry of Defence.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

More from Morning Wire

  • PwC slapped with multi-million fine for audit failures at FTSE 100 firm Babcock

    Big Four
    PwC cuts roles and apprenticeship
  • Babcock and Rolls-Royce stocks rally after Healey appointment

    Industrials
    Defence secretary John Healey is leading calls for further investment in the sector.
  • Rolls-Royce shares rise as Burnham pledges investment in British defence

    Politics
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, wearing a suit and tie, addressing current political issues in Manchester.
  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

    Property
    Aerial view of colorful residential houses built on a hillside, nestled among green trees, representing housing markets
  • Balfour Beatty ups profit forecasts as it defies construction gloom

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Balfour Beatty construction site showcasing cranes, workers, and building progress against a city skyline backdrop
  • AI startup boss warns UK cannot become ‘dependent’ on overseas tech

    Tech
    Max Buchan discussing Valarian 2s launch at a business event, highlighting innovative features and industry impact.
  • Victory wasted: The cautionary tale of Keir Starmer

    Opinion
    Keir Starmer exiting a building, dressed in a suit, amid media attention, reflecting leadership and political significance
  • Rentokil shares slide almost 20 per cent as demand weakens in North America

    Markets
    Domestic rat with brown and white fur, looking up inside a wire cage, its pink nose and whiskers visible
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook