Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 04 December 2019 3:51 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 04 December 2019 4:08 pm

Eddie Hearn says Anthony Joshua has changed his mindset for Ruiz rematch and defends decision to hold fight in Saudi Arabia

By: Michael Searles

Add as a preferred source on Google
Eddie Hearn, Andy Ruiz and Anthony Joshua
Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn backs Anthony Joshua to become "two-time heavyweight world champion" and defends decision to hold fight in Saudi Arabia

Boxing has a tendency to over-promote the significance of its fights but for Anthony Joshua the magnitude of Saturday’s bout in Saudi Arabia can truly be described as career-defining.

The Briton will step into the ring to face Andy Ruiz Jr knowing that defeat will likely end his hopes of unifying the heavyweight division and leave him cast aside, another “what if” of British boxing.

Victory, however, would make him a two-time world champion and put a huge bout with Deontay Wilder next year back on the map.

“It’s amazing how life works out,” Joshua’s promoter, Matchroom Sport supremo Eddie Hearn, told Morning Wire at the stable’s annual fight night at the Monte Carlo Casino last weekend.

“Six months ago, everyone was saying the dream’s over. Now it’s the biggest fight of the year – of the decade – and the biggest payday of AJ’s career.”

Where it went wrong for AJ

Joshua lost the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO heavyweight belts to Ruiz at Madison Square Garden, New York, in June, having originally been scheduled to fight Jarrel Miller, who was banned in the build up for a doping violation.

Up stepped Ruiz with three weeks’ notice and an unathletic build. His seventh-round knockout shook the boxing world and ended Joshua’s undefeated reign, although the real damage had been done in the third round when Joshua went for glory himself.

Anthony Joshua v Andy Ruiz Jr.
Andy Ruiz Jr knocks down Anthony Joshua in the seventh round in Madison Square Garden

“Wilder knocked out Breazeale [two weeks earlier] and Joshua definitely felt he needed to produce a grandstand finish in America,” says Hearn.

“It was impossible to focus on Ruiz because no one took him seriously: not the media, not the fans. He still wanted to win, he still trained hard, but he was just thinking ‘knock him out, look sensational, and then see if we can get the Wilder fight’.”

Read more: Anthony Joshua’s seismic defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr is the shake up boxing needed

This time around Joshua will not underestimate the 6ft Mexican who stole his crown and has geared his training more towards technique than strength and conditioning.

Having just had “one or two” sparring partners in the short build-up for Ruiz – it was “very difficult to get a 6ft chubby guy with speed”, Hearn says – this time Joshua has had eight people in for the whole camp.

“I’m guessing he’s deliberately done this, but it’s a carbon copy of the Klitschko camp,” says the promoter, referencing Joshua’s watershed 2017 victory. “In a proper gym, with eight or nine sparring partners, using three of four over 12 or 15 rounds.”

Both Joshua and Hearn dismissed a series of explanations for the loss to Ruiz, with Hearn suggesting his fighter’s “head and heart” were not in the right place and that the short notice hindered planning.

Read more

Anthony Joshua v Tyson Fury venue tug of war on pause, says Matchroom boss Hearn

Anthony Joshua landing a punch on Jake Paul during a boxing match
Andy Ruiz Jr v Anthony Joshua 2 - Public Work Out
Anthony Joshua has been working on his boxing technique more than his strength and conditioning this time around according to Eddie Hearn

“He’s always been a student of the game, but he’s an overthinker and when you haven’t planned correctly, he’s the kind of person where that would unravel and you may have seen that in the first fight,” Hearn says.

“He wasn’t in the frame of mind to solve that problem, whereas he’s very regimental and if you tell him this is how you beat Ruiz, he’s good at carrying out a game plan.”

Despite being 30, Joshua has only had 23 professional fights and 41 amateur fights, and is still “having to learn under the most pressured environment”, Hearn adds.

Saudi payday

His 24th pro fight is set to be crucial to the trajectory his career takes, but regardless of the outcome, it will also be his biggest payday to date by virtue of its location, a purpose-built 15,000-seater outdoor arena on the outskirts of Riyadh.

The original plan had been to fight in Cardiff, with Joshua accepting a 40 per cent pay cut on an American offer. But a reported £83m offer from Saudi Arabia blew both out of the water.

That has brought about its own issues, with questions over the country’s human rights record and Amnesty International last week accusing the regime of trying to “sportswash” its image.

Andy Ruiz Jr v Anthony Joshua 2
Saudi Arabia’s purpose-built Diriyah Arena will host the Clash On The Dunes

Still, around 4,000 British fans are expected to make the journey, including expats from Dubai and around 2,500 people from the UK.

Hearn has defended the decision to host the event there, pointing out the presence of sporting events such as Formula E and the PGA Tour, as well as brands like Gucci and Starbucks.

Read more: Luke Campbell: Brit talks facing pound-for-pound No1 Visiliy Lomachenko and rediscovering his happiness

“You’ve got a fiduciary duty to your client to stage the event there,” Hearn says. “What are you going to do? Present the numbers to your fighter and they go, ‘right, let’s go’, and you say, ‘I’m not comfortable with this, so I’m not going to be promoting this fight’. They’d go, ‘alright then, f*** off, see you later’.

“No one has a right to tell a fighter in a sport like this where they can and can’t fight for money. It was exactly the same with [Muhammad Ali fights] the Rumble in the Jungle and the rulership of Congo at the time, and the Thrilla in Manila and [Philippines president] Ferdinand Marcos.”

The Essex-born promoter also defended a price increase from £19.95 to £24.95 to watch the fight on Sky Sports’ pay-per-view Box Office platform and insisted it was a one-off, “outside of something like a Joshua-Wilder fight”.

“Contrary to people thinking we own Sky, DAZN, we don’t set the price,” says Hearn, who still expects UK pay-per-view records to be broken.

“The first bell is at 9pm, which is a great time, and it’s coming off the back of the Manchester [football] derby, so you’ve got that huge audience ready to migrate straight over to the AJ fight. It couldn’t have worked out better. Now he’s just got to win.”

Read more

Beat Luke Littler: Netflix enters live darts with £500,000 showcase

A male darts player in a yellow and blue shirt holding a dart, focused on his throw.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • Anthony Joshua v Tyson Fury venue tug of war on pause, says Matchroom boss Hearn

    Sport Business
    Anthony Joshua landing a punch on Jake Paul during a boxing match
  • Beat Luke Littler: Netflix enters live darts with £500,000 showcase

    Sport Business
    A male darts player in a yellow and blue shirt holding a dart, focused on his throw.
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
  • Sorry Hearn, Northampton Saints idiots if they pay Pollock £1m

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2282147422
  • Barry Hearn and Matchroom back Brentwood Town’s bid to reach National League

    Sport Business
    Business meeting with diverse professionals discussing strategy at a modern conference table with charts and laptops visible.
  • Delicious Orie: The boxer who swapped sparring for spreadsheets

    Sport Business
    Business professionals engaged in a lively discussion at a conference table, emphasizing teamwork and collaboration.
  • Exclusive: Rugby League monitoring Henry Pollock amid £1m Hearn wage demands

    Sport Business
    A young man with blonde hair and a dark shirt, clenching his fist and smiling, likely celebrating or cheering.
  • Barry Hearn on Brentwood Town investment: ‘I’m a tight bastard but I’m a believer’

    Sport Business
    Barry Hearn and a man shaking hands over a light blue football jersey with HEARN OBE 5 printed on it.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook