Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 29 January 2024 11:03 am

Elon Musk’s X blocks searches for Taylor Swift after deepfakes cause fan uproar

By: Jess Jones

TMT Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Elon Musk's X has barred searches for Taylor Swift following the spread of AI-generated explicit images of the pop star on the site.
Elon Musk's X has barred searches for Taylor Swift following the spread of AI-generated explicit images of the pop star on the site.

Elon Musk’s social media platform X has barred searches for Taylor Swift following the spread of AI-generated explicit images of the pop star on the site.

Attempted searches for “Taylor Swift” currently return an error message, which reads “Something went wrong. Try reloading.” The duration of the search block remains uncertain.

Joe Benarroch, head of business operations at X, told the Wall Street Journal that the move was a “temporary action” and had been done “with an abundance of caution” as the site “prioritise safety on this issue”.

Fans have been rallying against the graphic fake images of Swift, which began to appear online last week. They urged billionaire Musk to take more severe action against the accounts that posted and spread the images.

In a statement released on Friday, X said posting such content was “strictly prohibited” and it had a “zero-tolerance policy” towards it.

Although the company did not mention Swift by name, it said: “Our teams are actively removing all identified images and taking appropriate actions against the accounts responsible for posting them.

“We’re closely monitoring the situation to ensure that any further violations are immediately addressed, and the content is removed. We’re committed to maintaining a safe and respectful environment for all users.”

Musk’s ownership of X has sparked concerns over content moderation, which he has cut down on since taking over the platform, amid the growing threat of AI-generated deepfakes.

Read more

ChatGPT to follow Claude’s watermark pledge – but Grok to swerve it

Grok product interface showcasing advanced AI features for efficient data analysis on a sleek digital dashboard

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Media

Related Topics

  • Artificial intelligence (AI) and robots
  • Elon Musk
  • Twitter

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • ChatGPT to follow Claude’s watermark pledge – but Grok to swerve it

    Tech
    Grok product interface showcasing advanced AI features for efficient data analysis on a sleek digital dashboard
  • Natwest boss becomes latest City figure caught in AI social media scam

    Banking
    NatWest building exterior with logo, highlighting corporate presence and architecture on a business news website.
  • Here’s the right way to criticise the media

    Opinion
    Elon Musk and a woman in blue blazer seated with microphones, golden car in background
  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • Starmer took sport freebies worth tens of thousands of pounds while PM

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on a digital screen, symbolizing media content and stock photography for news and business platforms
  • Reading FC bidder banned by financial watchdog for forging £170m bond portfolio

    Sport Business
    Reading Football Club crest on a blue and white banner, with EST. 1871 visible.
  • Just Eat takes UK AI ordering tool across Europe

    Tech
    Private equity giant Prosus will acquire Just Eat Takeaway.com
  • WP Engine Opens Smart Search AI to the WordPress Ecosystem

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook