Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 07 January 2025 10:08 am

English clubs warned over Saudi Pro League transfer amid Fifa probe

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
The New Saints sold Brad Young to Saudi Pro League team Al-Orobah in September but say they have not received the transfer fee
The New Saints sold Brad Young to Saudi Pro League team Al-Orobah in September but say they have not received the transfer fee

English clubs have been warned to think twice before selling players to Saudi Pro League teams after Welsh champions The New Saints lodged a complaint with Fifa over unpaid fees.

The ambitious competition has spent heavily in recent transfer windows on luring big-name talent such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and Neymar to the Middle East. 

But The New Saints owner and chairman Mike Harris claims that Al-Orobah have failed to pay any of the £190,000 fee they agreed when they signed striker Brad Young in September.

“We’re due our transfer fee – not a penny has come. Our transfer fee hasn’t been paid. We’ve reported it to Fifa,” Harris told BBC Radio Wales.

“We can’t even get hold of the club, so I’d be saying to any club thinking of selling a good prospect to Saudi Arabia to not do the deal unless the cash is in your bank before the player goes. No other club should be taken in by the promises of riches that don’t turn up.”

Fifa told the BBC that it had received a complaint from The New Saints over payments due from Al-Orobah for Young and that the matter was pending a hearing before a tribunal.

A spokesperson for The New Saints said they expected a decision to be made by Fifa’s Player Status Chamber on Tuesday 14 January.

Harris said that the first of two installments was due in September and did not arrive despite them giving Al-Orobah 16 days’ grace. He added that the second amount was due last week.

Former Aston Villa trainee Young, 22, was the league’s top scorer and player of the year as The New Saints won the Cymru Premier last season. 

He made a good start to this campaign as the club qualified for the Uefa Conference League group stage but is yet to score for his new club, playing just 119 minutes in total.

Al-Orobah currently lie 13th of 18 teams in the Saudi Pro League and are not one of the four biggest spending teams majority owned by the PIF, the country’s sovereign wealth fund. 

The Saudi Pro League has been contacted for comment.

Read more

Why HMRC is huge Premier League transfer window tax headache

Two jubilant soccer players in white England jerseys celebrate a goal on the field.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Sport

Categories

  • Sport Business
  • Sport

People & Organisations

  • Mike Harris

Related Topics

  • Football
  • Football finance
  • Sport business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • Why HMRC is huge Premier League transfer window tax headache

    Sport Business
    Two jubilant soccer players in white England jerseys celebrate a goal on the field.
  • Chelsea fans stunned as ticket sharing equated with sexual misconduct

    Sport Business
    Crowds of fans gather outside the Chelsea FC stadium on a sunny day, with a Matchday Programmes On Sale sign visible.
  • Fifa World Cup sell-off is a money-grab and faces defeat, says Uefa

    Sport Business
    Aleksander Ceferin speaking into a microphone and giving a thumbs-up, wearing a suit at a public event
  • Uefa to boycott World Cup over Infantino’s Fifa sell-off following unanimous vote

    Sport Business
    Aleksander Čeferin, UEFA President, and Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, observing from a stadium box.
  • Fifa accused of bullying in attempt to kill off multi-billion class action claim

    Sport Business
    Getty Images news-related image depicting a significant event or person, suitable for general news and business contexts.
  • Deloitte warns of ‘challenges ahead’ for European football despite €40bn milestone

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on office building exterior under clear blue sky, representing global media and stock photography company
  • Uefa blocks Fifa’s World Cup sell-off if it stands up to Infantino again

    Sport Business
    Close-up of a blue and red UEFA logo on a sports equipment handle against a blurred blue background
  • European Commissioner vows to probe Fifa sell-off amid furious backlash

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino takes a selfie with Donald Trump, Claudia Sheinbaum, and a man in a suit.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook