Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 07 July 2021 12:50 pm

Evening Standard falls to £17m loss as lockdown hits commuting

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google
Dominic Cummings Gives Evidence To COVID-19 Parliamentary Committee
The Evening Standard has been badly hit by the pandemic due to its reliance on advertising

The Evening Standard plunged to a £17.2m loss last year as repeated lockdowns and work-from-home orders hit the freesheet’s commuting readership.

Revenue for the year dropped by almost a third to £44m in the year to the end of September as lower reader numbers were compounded by a slump in advertising spend.

The pre-tax loss of £17.2m widened from £13.6m the previous year and marks the newspaper’s fourth consecutive year in the red.

The Evening Standard has been one of the biggest victims of the pandemic due to its reliance on advertising, which makes up 90 per cent of its revenue.

At the height of the first lockdown last April the paper’s circulation fell to 423,000, down from more than 700,000 the previous month.

As a result the title was forced to take drastic measures to cut costs, including by making a third of its workforce redundant.

In accounts published today the company said its cost-cutting measures, which included a reduction in circulation and discretionary spend, meant total operating costs reduced by £19m — or 26 per cent — on the previous year.

Read more

Admiral profit slides as boss eyes push into EV insurance

Admiral has reported a bumper set of results

The Evening Standard secured an additional £20m in financing from shareholders, of which £7m was drawn down during the year.

It also secured £1.2m in government grants, including the government’s furlough scheme.

It came amid a series of leadership changes at the freesheet, which is owned by billionaire Evgeny Lebedev, who also owns the Independent.

In June Charles Yardley, a former Morning Wire executive, was appointed as the Evening Standard’s new chief executive following the surprise departure of Mike Soutar.

Emily Sheffield was also appointed as the newspaper’s new editor following the departure of former chancellor George Osborne.

The Evening Standard acknowledged it had undergone a “significant restructuring as a result of difficult market conditions”.

But it said its focus was on building digital and mobile platforms alongside the printed paper, as well as developing a live events business.

Read more

‘Grinding it out’: Ibstock swings to loss and cuts dividend amid building slump

Construction workers hands building a brick wall with mortar and a leveling tool, demonstrating masonry work

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Media

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Admiral profit slides as boss eyes push into EV insurance

    Insurance
    Admiral has reported a bumper set of results
  • ‘Grinding it out’: Ibstock swings to loss and cuts dividend amid building slump

    Property
    Construction workers hands building a brick wall with mortar and a leveling tool, demonstrating masonry work
  • Compass Pathways Announces Second Quarter and First Half 2026 Financial Results and Business Highlights

    Business Wire
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

    FTSE 100 Live
    Londons Stock Exchange orb with FTSE 100 display, symbolizing business and market updates
  • IGI Reports Second Quarter and First Six Months of 2026 Unaudited Financial Results and Declares Ordinary Common Share Dividend

    Business Wire
  • Standard Life partners with Goldman Sachs and CVC to fuel pension risk transfer business

    Insurance
    Standard Life office building exterior, representing one of the UKs largest pension funds, in a business context
  • Silence Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2026 Financial and Business Results

    Business Wire
  • Algoma Central Corporation Reports Financial Results for the 2026 Second Quarter

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook