Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,761.51
+0.11%
DAX
26,410.54
-0.11%
CAC 40
8,623.35
-0.16%
STOXX 50
6,552.43
+0.20%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 09 June 2021 2:00 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 10 June 2021 10:03 am

Exclusive: Nightclubs ‘may open doors’ on 21 June regardless of rules

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google
Liverpool Circus Nightclub - Mass Attendance Pilot
Even minimal restrictions on events post-19 July will spell losses of billions for the events industry.

Some UK nightclubs are considering reopening their doors on 21 June even if the government pushes back the date for lifting lockdown restrictions.

Michael Kill, chief executive of the Night Time Industries Association (NTIA), told Morning Wire the sector was “getting to breaking point”, adding that a potential delay to reopening had sparked “panic and anxiety” for businesses.

He said the industry was now considering “every avenue” for challenging a delay, including a legal battle, while some venues were considering protests or opening their doors regardless.

The lobby group, which represents British bars, nightclubs and live music events, is also in talks with companies in different sectors such as hospitality about launching a collective challenge.

Fears have been mounting that the final stage of the government’s roadmap for ending Covid measures could be pushed back by several weeks amid concerns about the spread of the Indian variant of the virus.

Ministers met with scientific advisers this week and will announce their decision on Monday.

The pushback from nightlife groups comes after Andrew Lloyd-Webber vowed to reopen his theatres at full capacity later this month regardless of the rules.

Read more

Fifa World Cup sell-off is a money-grab and faces defeat, says Uefa

Aleksander Ceferin speaking into a microphone and giving a thumbs-up, wearing a suit at a public event

The theatre entrepreneur said he was willing to risk arrest if authorities tried to intervene.

‘Very frustrating’

The UK’s nightlife sector has been one of the worst impacted by the pandemic, with many remaining closed since March last year.

A survey conducted by the NTIA found 95 per cent of businesses in the sector had already made financial commitments and logistical preparations to reopen, including ordering stock, calling in staff and selling tickets.

Kill warned that a delay would result in the loss of business and livelihoods, “culminating in further loss of confidence in the sector”.

If a legal challenge goes ahead, it will not be the first time businesses have taken the government to court over lockdown policy.

The hospitality sector last month lost a legal challenge in the High Court over the reopening of indoor dining.

Responding to Lloyd-Webber’s comments this morning Julian Knight, chair of the DCMS committee, said a possible delay was “very frustrating for the live events industry”, though he added he “clearly wouldn’t support anyone breaking the law”.

Read more

Temporary inflation slowdown set to boost Burnham

Rising inflation graph with increasing percentage symbols, highlighting economic trends and financial market impact

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Retail

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

More from Morning Wire

  • Fifa World Cup sell-off is a money-grab and faces defeat, says Uefa

    Sport Business
    Aleksander Ceferin speaking into a microphone and giving a thumbs-up, wearing a suit at a public event
  • Temporary inflation slowdown set to boost Burnham

    Economics
    Rising inflation graph with increasing percentage symbols, highlighting economic trends and financial market impact
  • Cruyff turn: Starmer allows pubs to stay open for England World Cup game

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo with a backdrop of diverse business professionals collaborating energetically in a modern office setting
  • As it happened: Intel, Arm shares slide; Oil climbs higher

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump smiling and holding a small golden ball, wearing a blue suit and red tie.
  • House prices rise as mortgage rates ease from Iran war highs

    Property
    Starmer plans to build up to 12 new towns.
  • City policy chair: Blocking skyscrapers is deeply disappointing

    Opinion
    Aerial view of western city cluster development in February 2026 showcasing modern skyline and urban expansion
  • Britain faces energy squeeze from solar eclipse

    Energy
    Rows of blue solar panels in a field, generating clean energy, with green trees in the background.
  • Why England World Cup host city Miami is amazing for sports lovers

    Life&Style
    A year ago this week MLS club Inter Miami – part-owned by former England international David Beckham – completed one of the biggest signings in global sports history.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook