Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,717.78
-0.24%
DAX
25,977.10
-0.44%
CAC 40
8,465.96
-0.42%
STOXX 50
6,424.85
-0.30%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 18 April 2024 12:43 pm

FA Cup replays axed as part of major rethink of historic tournament

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Manchester City v Manchester United: Emirates FA Cup Final
LONDON, ENGLAND - JUNE 03: Jack Grealish of Manchester City kisses the FA Cup Trophy after the team's victory in front of their fans after the Emirates FA Cup Final between Manchester City and Manchester United at Wembley Stadium on June 03, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

FA Cup replays have been scrapped from next season as part of a major shake-up of the world’s oldest knockout competition, the Football Association has announced.

The move to abolish all replays from the first round proper onwards is part of a new agreement between the FA and the Premier League which will see up to an extra £33m going to grassroots football from the top flight each season.

The FA had already scrapped replays from the fifth round onwards and said the move to ditch them altogether had been agreed “in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded Uefa competitions”.

The FA said all rounds would now be played at the weekend, with the fifth phase having moved to midweek for the last five seasons.

The final will now be played on the penultimate weekend of the Premier League season, on a Saturday with no top-flight matches taking place on the same day.

From next season the Champions League will feature an extra 64 games, creating increased pressure on the domestic calendar.

The FA said that under the new format, the fourth round, fifth round and quarter-finals would all be exclusive of Premier League fixtures for the first time, while the fourth round will be played across an “extended window” from Friday to the following Wednesday.

The deal will provide up to £133m per season in funding to the football pyramid from 2025-26.

The first year of the format forms part of the overall calendar which has been given the approval of the Professional Game Board, which features representatives from the FA, the Premier League and the EFL.

Read more

FA turns up heat on Infantino by pulling support for embattled Fifa president

Prince William speaking with a woman and a man holding a phone at an event

The mid-season break has been removed from the calendar to allow a mid-August start date for the Premier League for 2024-25, with the longer break affording top-flight clubs a better chance of giving players a consecutive three-week break.

The FA said that move took into account expert medical advice around the benefits of a longer period of complete rest versus a shorter break in the winter.

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham said: “The Emirates FA Cup is our biggest asset and generates over 60 per cent of our revenue to invest into the game, so it is critical to secure a strong format for the future.

“This new agreement between The FA and the Premier League strengthens the Emirates FA Cup and gives this very special tournament exclusive weekends in an increasingly busy calendar. The new schedule ensures the magic of the cup is protected and enhanced, whilst working for the whole of the English game.

“The longer summer period also allows a much-needed player break before the start of the next season. We have also agreed new funding for the grassroots game, disability football, and the women’s and girls’ game. All football begins at the grassroots, and this is recognised by the Premier League with very welcome additional financial support.”

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said: “The Premier League is proud of the investment it provides to all levels of the game and this new agreement with the FA will see us enhance our support into grassroots football.

“This will improve facilities for communities and lower league clubs across the country, through the Football Foundation and Premier League Stadium Fund.

“Throughout our discussions both parties have been committed to enhancing the scheduling of the Emirates FA Cup, a hugely important domestic competition with a storied history.

“The FA and the Premier League have worked in partnership to deliver more exclusive weekends without compromising the excitement of knockout football and this has been achieved at the same time as allowing us to ease fixture congestion generally.”

Read more

Fifa World Cup had amazing stadiums, 2035 UK edition must too

Breaking news concept with digital newspaper on tablet and financial graph overlay, symbolizing current events and market ...

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Sport

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Football
  • Premier League football

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • FA turns up heat on Infantino by pulling support for embattled Fifa president

    Sport Business
    Prince William speaking with a woman and a man holding a phone at an event
  • Fifa World Cup had amazing stadiums, 2035 UK edition must too

    Sport Business
    Breaking news concept with digital newspaper on tablet and financial graph overlay, symbolizing current events and market ...
  • Gary Lineker forks out £10k to save England World Cup dream

    Sport Business
    Gary Lineker smiling in a dark suit, white shirt, and navy tie, wearing black-framed glasses.
  • Frying squad: England’s World Cup bid fuelled by cooking oil and leftover food

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on a digital display, representing the brands impact in digital media and stock photography industry.
  • Nottingham Forest owner Marinakis sues Crystal Palace for defamation

    Sport Business
    Evangelos Marinakis, owner of Nottingham Forest, in a dark jacket and white shirt, looking serious at a stadium.
  • Chelsea fined £10m, avoid points penalty and receive Mykhailo Mudryk boost

    Sport Business
    A male Chelsea FC player, possibly Mykhailo Mudryk, in a blue and black long-sleeved training top, stretching.
  • Fifa won’t fix itself – scrap it now and set up a World FA, led by Uefa and South America

    Sport Business
    Reflective FIFA logo sign on a white wall, with green trees mirrored in the letters, under natural light.
  • England semi pulls in 24m on BBC but falls short of Euros final

    Sport Business
    Unfortunately, without the specific content or context of the article, I cant generate an accurate alt text for the image....
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook