Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,719.48
-0.22%
DAX
25,993.13
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,478.50
-0.28%
STOXX 50
6,431.21
-0.21%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 07 June 2019 11:34 am

Facebook rips apps off new Huawei smartphones

By: Robbie Harb

Add as a preferred source on Google
In this photo taken on May 27, 2019, a Huawei logo is displayed at a retail store in Beijing. - China is digging in for a tough period of deteriorating ties with the United States, fanning the flames of patriotism with Korean War films, a viral song on the trade war, and editorials lambasting Washington. (Photo by FRED DUFOUR / AFP) (Photo credit should read FRED DUFOUR/AFP/Getty Images)

Facebook has suspended pre-installation of its apps on new Huawei phones, dealing the latest blow against the beleaguered Chinese telecoms giant.

The apps affected by the suspension will include Facebook, Instagram and Whatsapp.

Customers who already have Huawei phones will still be able to access and update their apps.

But the company’s new phones will no longer come with the apps pre-installed.

Read more: Google says Huawei ban is a security risk

New phone owners will still be able to download and update the apps through the Play Store.

Smartphone vendors often pre-install popular apps on their smartphones to make them more attractive to customers.

Twitter and Booking.com also come pre-installed on Huawei phones in many markets.

Twitter and Booking.com declined to comment on whether they would be making similar moves.

Read more: Huawei must improve ‘shoddy’ cyber security, says top UK spook

Read more

Top-rated casino apps displayed on a smartphone screen, highlighting user-friendly interfaces and popular gaming options

The move by Facebook is a blow to Huawei’s sales outlook.

Huawei’s smartphone business became its biggest revenue generator last year, stimulated by strong growth in Europe in Asia.

A Facebook spokesperson said: “We are reviewing the Commerce Department’s final rule and the more recently issued temporary general license and taking steps to ensure compliance.”

Huawei declined to comment on the story.

Google recently announced that it would no longer provide Android software for Huawei phones after a 90-day reprieve granted by the US government expires in August.

But the search giant has no plans to block access to its apps on Huawei phones.

The Trump administration banned US companies from supplying technology to Huawei in May as part of a long-running dispute with the company.

The United States alleges that Huawei is too close to the Chinese government and its telecoms products could be used for espionage.

Huawei denies the allegations.

Read more

bet365 Mobile UK App – bet365 Mobile Offer and Sites 2026

bet365 Mobile Offer and Sites

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Morning Wire Content
  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Donald Trump
  • Facebook

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Cloudflare OS Is the First AI Workspace Built Around How Companies Actually Work

    Business Wire
  • Cricket Betting Sites 2026 – Best Cricket Betting Sites UK

    Betting
    Cricket enthusiasts engaging with top online betting platforms, showcasing user-friendly interfaces and live match updates.
  • Holiday Inn owner suffers Middle East slowdown as Iran war hits tourism

    Hospitality
    IHG opened 17,500 rooms across 98 hotels throughout the quarter.
  • Signal Taps Cloudflare to Help Protect the Privacy of Hundreds of Millions of Users Through Key Transparency

    Business Wire
  • Options Announces CIX Trading, Canada’s Newest Alternative Trading System (ATS)

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook