Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.81
-0.07%
DAX
26,115.18
-0.05%
CAC 40
8,544.66
+0.41%
STOXX 50
6,477.48
+0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 04 April 2022 12:34 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 04 April 2022 6:46 pm

Fever pitch: Battle for Ted Baker intensifies as new owners set to face post-pandemic high street ‘challenges’

By: Emily Hawkins

Add as a preferred source on Google
Hundreds of high street jobs could be placed at risk after the owners of Ted Baker filed a notice to appoint administrators.  
Hundreds of high street jobs could be placed at risk after the owners of Ted Baker filed a notice to appoint administrators.  

Fashion chain Ted Baker has seen its share price boom after kicking off a formal sale process, with a third US private equity proposal.

Analysts said the proposal comes as valuations of British companies have fallen in the wake of the pandemic and Brexit.

Ted Baker has received an improved proposal from Sycamore, in addition to another unsolicited third party bid, it revealed on Monday.

Ted Baker’s share price was lifted more than 14 per cent on Monday afternoon, in the wake of the announcement. 

The UK high-street retailer has previously turned down two takeover proposals from the New York-based Sycamore, claiming its most recent £250m bid “significantly undervalued” the firm.

“In view of the interest expressed by potential offerors, and having consulted its major shareholders, the board has decided to conduct an orderly process to establish whether there is a bidder prepared to offer a value that the board considers attractive relative to the standalone prospects of Ted Baker as a listed company,” a statement read.

However, analysts have warned there may be a disconnect between the valuation Ted Baker regards itself as holding and the sum a third party bidder is willing to cough up for it.

As with several of its high street rivals, the chain was hammered hard by the pandemic,  particularly as a chain that had made a name for its occasion-wear. It swallowed a revenue loss of £278.5m in the year to 30 January 2021, down 44 per cent as it bagged £352m in total.

However, Ted Baker has recently reported boosted brand sales, with the company reporting sales up 23 per cent to £433m year-on-year last autumn. 

Read more

FTSE 100 property giant Segro rejects £13.5bn Prologis bid

David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.

A brighter outlook comes amid a three-year turnaround plan headed by chief executive Rachel Osborne, which has seen footfall return to the chain’s 560 stores and concessions.

Sophie Lund-Yates, lead equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown, said it was possible the unnamed bidder was another overseas private equity firm as interest in UK firms had hit a “fever pitch”. 

She added: “The price that Ted Baker will accept from a buyer is clearly more ambitious than what the existing bids offer. Ted is keen to point out the potential growth for the brand, including around the benefits of a new leaner, more digital operation. There may well be a disconnect between Ted Baker’s valuation of itself and the amount a third party is willing to spend on an improved, but nevertheless struggling, bricks and mortar retailer.”

The brand’s stubbornness to ensure it agrees right price was praised by Gowling WLG’s Sarah Riding, who said the interest had helped to demonstrate “the clear resonance it still holds with consumers.”

However, Riding warned that whichever firm succeeded in the bidding war would “have a challenge ahead in terms of maximising its potential through new product lines, online revenue streams and even overseas market penetration and expansion in a revitalised post-pandemic setting.”

“However, while attracting a buyer for this purpose is important, questions around the brand’s continuation and enhancement here in the UK will doubtless be front of mind for the current owners,” she added.

Ted Baker did not disclose the terms of Sycamore’s latest bid for the company. However, it previously turned down a bid for 137.5 pence for each Ted Baker share.

Firms hoping to woo Ted Baker are not obligated to name themselves publicly after the takeover regulator has given the green light for a formal process.

Read more

Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Retail

Related Topics

  • Ted Baker

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • FTSE 100 property giant Segro rejects £13.5bn Prologis bid

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Prologis ramps up pressure on FTSE 100 property giant Segro

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Easyjet agrees to £5.7bn Apollo takeover

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers muscles in on Harvey Nichols sale

    Retail
    Harvey Nichols storefront featuring elegant window displays and seasonal decorations in a bustling city setting
  • FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Prologis tables ‘best and final’ £14bn offer for Segro

    Property
    London Stock Exchange interior with a digital display showing LON.STK.EXCH and traders walking past.
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook