Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,725.24
-0.17%
DAX
25,956.08
-0.52%
CAC 40
8,486.52
-0.18%
STOXX 50
6,431.83
-0.20%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 02 December 2024 4:36 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 02 December 2024 6:09 pm

FIA under fire amid safety fears over handling of chaotic Qatar Grand Prix

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem faces questions over the running of Formula 1 following the Qatar Grand Prix
FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem faces questions over the running of Formula 1 following the Qatar Grand Prix

Formula 1’s embattled governing body the FIA has come in for further criticism for the race stewards’ handling of an incident that led to Lando Norris receiving a 10-second stop-go penalty at the Qatar Grand Prix on Sunday.

Norris was sanctioned for ignoring yellow flags after the wing mirror of Williams’ Alex Albon fell off on the pit straight, a decision which demoted him from second to 10th and hit McLaren’s hopes of winning the constructors’ title.

McLaren team principal Andrea Stella called the penalty decision “a little too simplistic” and appeared to imply that the FIA’s recent firing of senior race officials had left people in charge who lacked the experience to make the right calls.

“We expect that applying such a severe penalty in this case will be reviewed by the FIA and there is certainly material for improvement,” he said.

“To me it looks like somewhere there must be a book with a lot of dust on the cover that was taken out: ‘Let me see what it says; let me apply this.’”

Race director Rui Marques was taking charge of only the second Grand Prix since his appointment last month. Predecessor Niels Wittich left abruptly, while senior steward Tim Mayer said he was fired by the FIA last week.  

A turbulent year which has also seen the departures of a sporting director, technical director, chief executive and compliance officer has raised questions for president Mohammed Ben Sulayem.

Stella did not dispute that Norris deserved a penalty but was not satisfied by the specificity and proportionality of the judgement. 

He added: “The specificity has to do with ‘what case are we actually considering? Is there an immediate danger for somebody? Is there a crash scene?’. This leads to proportion. The penalty needs to be commensurate, proportionate to the severity of the infringement.

Read more

Formula 1’s governing body wants more races in China and Asia

GettyImages 2284466488 shows a significant business event with professionals networking in a modern conference setting.

“It’s interesting that the FIA themselves were going on and off with the yellow flag and at some stage it was even removed, which gives a sense how severe the situation was.”

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff backed his McLaren counterpart, saying: “Rationality needs to win and for me it doesn’t look like this at the moment.”

Bianchi lawyer calls for FIA explanation

The FIA defended the penalty handed to Norris, calling it “in accordance with guidelines circulated to the teams” ahead of the season. “A double yellow flag infringement is considered a serious compromise of safety, which is why such offences carry such a severe penalty.”

Albon’s wing mirror was eventually hit by Sauber’s Valtteri Bottas, sending debris across the track which was suspected of causing punctures to Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes and the Ferrari of Carlos Sainz, before stewards eventually deployed the safety car.

Injury lawyer Christopher Deacon, who represented the family of F1 driver Jules Bianchi after his fatal crash in 2014, called the FIA’s handling of the incident “a cause for concern”.

Deacon, a Partner at UK law firm Stewarts, added: “Deciding to raise double yellow flags on the relevant section of track – and to heavily penalise Lando Norris for not slowing down sufficiently at the section – suggests a welcome safety-first approach. 

“But the subsequent decision not to take action to clear the track seems like the wrong one given the risk this poses to drivers of serious injury in the event of a loss of control, and the fact that multiple cars were then damaged, impacting the race result and leading to another safety car. 

“Formula 1 should now explain the reasons for the decision making by race officials at the Qatar Grand Prix and learn appropriate safety lessons to avoid putting drivers at risk in the future.”

Read more

Europe to host Formula 1 finale if Iran war scuppers Qatar and Abu Dhabi plans

Night race at Bahrain International Circuit with brightly lit tower, grandstands, and F1 cars on track.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Sport

Categories

  • Sport Business

People & Organisations

  • FIA
  • Formula 1
  • Jules Bianchi
  • lando norris
  • Qatar Grand Prix
  • Toto Wolff

Related Topics

  • Formula 1
  • Motorsport
  • Sport business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Formula 1’s governing body wants more races in China and Asia

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2284466488 shows a significant business event with professionals networking in a modern conference setting.
  • Europe to host Formula 1 finale if Iran war scuppers Qatar and Abu Dhabi plans

    Sport Business
    Night race at Bahrain International Circuit with brightly lit tower, grandstands, and F1 cars on track.
  • Formula 1 worth £12bn to UK economy as Silverstone rakes in £100m

    Sport Business
    Business professionals engaged in a strategic discussion at a corporate meeting, highlighting teamwork and collaboration.
  • Five tracks that could host Formula 1 in coming years

    Sport Business
    Red Ferrari F1 car speeding past a blurred Malaysian flag banner on a race track
  • FIA Completes ‘Deal of the Century’ for FIA World and European Rally Championships

    Business Wire
  • Will Formula 1 need to refund sponsors for cancelled Middle East races?

    Sport Business
    Max Verstappen in a Red Bull Racing cap and team shirt, looking contemplative with hands under his chin.
  • Inside Formula 1’s £10,000 hospitality ticket on the back of a moving lorry

    Sport Business
    Black Formula 1 hospitality truck driving on a race track at dusk, bright lights and sponsor banners visible.
  • Where heritage meets diplomacy: The Qatar Goodwood Festival and the UK–Middle East partnership

    Partner
    Horses and jockeys racing past a grandstand packed with spectators at the Qatar Goodwood Festival under a blue sky
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook