Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,369.66
-0.27%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,538.56
-0.02%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 02 March 2026 10:02 am

Formula 1: Middle East conflict hits teams’ Australian Grand Prix plans

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Unfortunately, without additional context or content from the article itself, I cant generate a precise alt text for the i...
Teams are scrambling to get staff to Melbourne for the F1 season opener

The start of the new Formula 1 season has been disrupted by the conflict in the Middle East, with hundreds of team personnel facing a rush to reach this week’s Australian Grand Prix.

Strikes and retaliatory attacks involving the US, Israel and Iran have grounded commercial flights across the region, forcing F1 teams to make last-minute changes to their travel arrangements for getting to Melbourne.

“You’re talking about teams, drivers, Formula 1 personnel,” said Travis Auld, chief executive of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation.

“I’m guessing there’d be close to a thousand people that would have already booked their flights and would be landing somewhere between today, tomorrow, Wednesday – they had to all be changed.

“A lot of people around the world are doing the same thing and so you’re competing obviously with that increase in demand, but they’ve been able to sort it out.

“The last 48 hours have required some reshuffling of flights. That is largely Formula 1’s responsibility. They take charge of the teams, drivers and all the personnel that are required here to make this event happen. There’s quite a number of them.

“My understanding is that’s all now been locked in, everyone will be here ready for the race and fans won’t notice any difference.”

Bahrain and Saudi Arabia Grands Prix in doubt

The first race of the 2026 season is expected to go ahead, as the cars were shipped from Bahrain after the final pre-season test there last month. 

But there are concerns about the practicalities of racing in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, where the season’s fourth and fifth grands prix are due to take place next month.

An F1 spokesperson said: “Our next three races are in Australia, China and Japan and not in the Middle East – those races are not for a number of weeks.

“As always, we closely monitor any situation like this and work closely with relevant authorities.”

Read more

Formula 1 worth £12bn to UK economy as Silverstone rakes in £100m

Business professionals engaged in a strategic discussion at a corporate meeting, highlighting teamwork and collaboration.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Sport
  • News

Categories

  • Sport Business
  • Business
  • Formula 1
  • Sport

People & Organisations

  • 2026 F1 season
  • Australian Grand Prix
  • Australian Grand Prix Corporation
  • Formula 1
  • Melbourne Park
  • Travis Auld

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Formula 1 worth £12bn to UK economy as Silverstone rakes in £100m

    Sport Business
    Business professionals engaged in a strategic discussion at a corporate meeting, highlighting teamwork and collaboration.
  • Europe to host Formula 1 finale if Iran war scuppers Qatar and Abu Dhabi plans

    Sport Business
    Night race at Bahrain International Circuit with brightly lit tower, grandstands, and F1 cars on track.
  • Will Formula 1 need to refund sponsors for cancelled Middle East races?

    Sport Business
    Max Verstappen in a Red Bull Racing cap and team shirt, looking contemplative with hands under his chin.
  • Formula 1’s governing body wants more races in China and Asia

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2284466488 shows a significant business event with professionals networking in a modern conference setting.
  • Inside Formula 1’s £10,000 hospitality ticket on the back of a moving lorry

    Sport Business
    Black Formula 1 hospitality truck driving on a race track at dusk, bright lights and sponsor banners visible.
  • Free-to-air bonanza boon for fans, sport and marketers

    Sport Business
    Getty Images collection number 2284379076 featuring diverse business professionals in a collaborative meeting setting.
  • SailGP: The $100m-per-team sailing league looking to join British summer of sport

    Sport Business
    Unfortunately, without more specific details or context from the article content, its challenging to generate a precise al...
  • South Africa sport minister on Olympics bid, Formula 1, Springboks and LIV Golf

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in green jersey with Pic n Pay 13 shaking hands with a smiling man in a suit and tie
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook