Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
Business

French court blocks under-15 social media ban

France's Constitutional Council has struck down the government's bill to bar under-15s from social media, delaying the flagship digital-safety measure until at least spring 2027.

By
French court blocks under-15 social media ban

France's Constitutional Council declared the government's draft law banning social-media access for under-15s unconstitutional on 14 August, ruling that the restrictions disproportionately infringe minors' freedom of expression and communication, Politico Europe reports.

The bill had been due to take effect in September 2026. It would have prohibited anyone in France under the age of 15 from accessing social media platforms.

The council, France's top constitutional court, said the blanket restriction went too far. It suggested that giving parents more flexibility could make an age-based limit compatible with fundamental rights.

Government targets spring 2027 for revised law

The French presidential office said the government would not abandon the measure and would target spring 2027 for a revised bill, according to Politico Europe.

What it means for platforms

The ruling removes immediate compliance pressure on social-media companies operating in France. It also arrives as the EU prepares wider digital-safety rules, leaving platforms that had modelled operational changes around a September deadline to recalibrate.

The government now has until spring 2027 to produce a version that satisfies the council.

More from Business