Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
0.00%
CAC 40
8,636.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 18 July 2023 6:04 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 18 July 2023 6:05 pm

GAM takeover battle erupts after Xavier Niel-backed group launches rival bid to Liontrust

By: Charlie Conchie

City Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
French telecomms tycoon Xavier Niel backs the rival bidder for GAM, NewGAMe

A takeover battle has erupted over ailing Swiss fund manager GAM today as a consortium backed by telecoms mogul Xavier Niel launched a counter bid to London-listed Liontrust.

Liontrust struck a £96m deal to buy the Swiss firm earlier this year but the consortium NewGAMe, which controls approximately 9.5 per cent of the issued share capital of GAM, has pushed back on the proposal aggressively. 

The firm has today formally tabled a bid to snap up some 28m GAM shares, representing around 17.5 per cent of the firm’s issued share capital, at 49p per share.

The offer marks a 29.1 per cent premium on the value of the Liontrust offer and a a premium of 31.9 per cent on the closing price of the GAM shares on the 17th July.

“The announced offer gives a partial exit to shareholders who are concerned by the absence of an alternative to Liontrust’s inadequate offer,” Albert Saporta, director of NewGAMe, said. 

“As GAM’s second-largest shareholder, we are convinced there is a significant upside associated with the successful restructuring of the company and are confident that GAM shareholders are better off remaining invested in the company,” he added.

NewGAMe slammed Liontrust for “grossly” undervaluing GAM and said its offer was “subject to execution contingencies, which make it highly unattractive”. 

GAM has been on the ropes and has seen its assets more than halve since 2018 to 68bn Swiss francs.

Liontrust declined to comment.

Read more

Vodafone shares jump as French telecoms tycoon becomes top shareholder

Vodafone Group has announced the appointment of Microsoft's Pilar López as its new chief financial officer.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Investing
  • Markets

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

  • Revolut chatbot goes rogue by charging users to cancel subscription

More from Morning Wire

  • Vodafone shares jump as French telecoms tycoon becomes top shareholder

    Telecoms
    Vodafone Group has announced the appointment of Microsoft's Pilar López as its new chief financial officer.
  • FTSE 100 property firm slams ‘opportunistic, one-sided, inadequate’ takeover offer

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Prologis ramps up pressure on FTSE 100 property giant Segro

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • ‘We are going to run out’: Mitie marks eleventh mega takeover of 2026

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 enjoyed a 3-year record rally in the third quarter.
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • FTSE 100 property giant Segro rejects £13.5bn Prologis bid

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook