Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
0.00%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 13 February 2024 2:39 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 13 February 2024 3:38 pm

Glencore remains bearish on nickel outlook as it writes off £3.2bn investment

By: Rhodri Morgan

Add as a preferred source on Google
Glencore's shares have underperformed rivals since the company's listing in 2011
Glencore's shares have underperformed rivals since the company's listing in 2011

Mining giant Glencore is exiting its 49 per cent stake in a major nickel mine, weeks after lowering expectations for its performance in a slumping global market for the commodity.

The firm inherited its stake in the Koniambo nickel operation when it acquired Xstrata a decade ago and has since run it on behalf of the Societe Miniere du Sud Pacifique via the French government, which controls the territory.

The Swiss mining group has shovelled around $4bn (£3.2bn) into the mine to date but said yesterday high operating costs and market conditions meant the project was no longer fit for its portfolio.

Indeed, the writing has been on the wall for some time, with Glencore saying back in September: “We has been working for years to identify a path toward a cost-effective, reliable Koniambo Nickel business that can meet production and financial targets.

“While significant progress has been made in productivity performance and reliability, KNS continues to struggle financially and incur significant losses largely due to factors outside of its control relating to cost structures and market conditions.”

The Financial Times reported today the French government offered €200m (£171m) in support of the project and remains “totally engaged” with finding a new investor.

Nickel is a crucial component for electric vehicles and as such, investors have rushed into the nickel mining sector over the past few years.

But demand hasn’t lived up to market expectations and now the market is facing a glut of the commodity. China and Indonesia, two major suppliers, have both responded by cutting supply – as much as 100,000 metric tonnes this year.

Other producers have also slashed production with total cuts so far removing 230,000 tons or around 6 per cent of potential supply for this year, according to Macquarie analysts.

Still, even these cuts have not been enough to boost prices forcing other miners to cut back.

Earlier this month, Glencore said that production across its key energy transition stable of metals was lower for 2023 and warned that 2024 could bring the same.

Approximately 97,600 tons of nickel came through last year, missing October guidance which chief executive Gary Nagle said was a result of third-party production issues. A drop of between 7-7,000 tons is expected this year

Read more

Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Energy

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

More from Morning Wire

  • Glencore and Rio Tinto strike gold on high commodity prices

    Mining
    Jakob Stausholm will step down after more than four years as chief executive of the FTSE 100 mining giant.
  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as Antofagasta prompts miner sell-off; oil prices cool

    FTSE 100 Live
    Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • As it happened: Stocks reach all-time high; US fires back at ‘surprise’ Iran attacks

    Markets
    LSEG logo on a large screen within a modern building displaying stock market data and world indices
  • AngloGold Ashanti Q2 30 June 2026 Earnings Release and Dividend Declaration

    Business Wire
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking emphatically at a podium, wearing a navy suit and blue tie, with a microphone and lights visible.
  • The former African gold miner taking on the billionaire Issa brothers

    Markets
    Screenshot showing July 2026 news article layout with no specific categories or tags on a general news/business website
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook