Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 19 February 2021 12:21 pm  |  Updated:  Friday 19 February 2021 12:23 pm

Government ‘acted unlawfully’ by failing to disclose Covid contract details, court rules

By: Angharad Carrick

Add as a preferred source on Google

The High Court has ruled that the government acted unlawfully by failing to disclosed details of its Covid contracts.

“The Secretary of State acted unlawfully by failing to comply with the Transparency Policy” Judge Chamberlain concluded in his judgment this afternoon.

He added “there is now no dispute that, in a substantial number of cases, the Secretary of State breached his legal obligation to publish Contract Award Notices within 30 days of the award of contracts.”

The legal challenge was brought by the Good Law Project and three MPs – Debbie Abrahams, Caroline Lucas and Layla Moran – after the Department of Health failed to disclose information on pandemic-related procurements last year.

The government has been accused of handing out contracts to close contacts of government ministers and failing to advertise the huge tenders.

“The Secretary of State spent vast quantities of public money on pandemic-related procurements during 2020. The public were entitled to see who this money was going to, what it was being spent on and how the relevant contracts were awarded,” Judge Chamberlain said.

“This was important not only so that competitors of those awarded contracts could understand whether the obligations owed to them under the PCR 2015 had been breached, but also so that oversight bodies such as the NAO, as well as Parliament and the public, could scrutinise and ask questions about this expenditure.”

The Prime Minister’s former aide Dominic Cummings was recently accused of awarding a contract to Public First, a company owned and run by two of his associates. The research firm was paid over half a million to research the public’s understanding of the coronavirus.

““I’d rather that there was no need for organisations like ours to have to sue Government to get it to come clean. The public is plainly entitled to know how and with whom and at what prices Government spends public money,” Jolyon Maugham QC, director of the Good Law Project said.

“Anything else is a recipe for corruption. But until Government understands and respects that there is a genuine public interest in how they are awarding Covid contracts, including through the VIP lane, we have little choice.”

Read more

Chelsea fans stunned as ticket sharing equated with sexual misconduct

Crowds of fans gather outside the Chelsea FC stadium on a sunny day, with a Matchday Programmes On Sale sign visible.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Chelsea fans stunned as ticket sharing equated with sexual misconduct

    Sport Business
    Crowds of fans gather outside the Chelsea FC stadium on a sunny day, with a Matchday Programmes On Sale sign visible.
  • TikTok loses court battle over £12.7m child privacy fine

    Tech
    Tiktok appeals to overturn US ban in a broader battle for tech regulation
  • Net zero and DEI targets cut from procurement rules as firms pressed to raise pay and hire NEETs

    Politics
    Louise Haigh, Andy Burnham, and another man smiling in front of a dark door with 10 visible.
  • Prince Harry braces for eye watering legal bill after Daily Mail defeat

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • Prince Harry hit with £9.5m Daily Mail legal bill

    Legal
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, in a navy suit, white shirt, and striped tie, looking down.
  • Travelodge boss quits amid backlash over hotel sexual assault

    Hospitality
    Travelodge London Central Elephant & Castle sign with a blurred red double-decker bus in the background
  • Silence Therapeutics Announces Closing of Upsized Public Offering and Full Exercise of Underwriters’ Option to Purchase Additional ADSs

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook