Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 16 October 2020 4:28 pm

Government extends TfL funding for two weeks amid emergency bailout talks

By: Poppy Wood

Add as a preferred source on Google
Legal & General chief executive Nigel Wilson said is is vital to “break down” the fear of using public transport to get workers back to the office.

The government has extended its funding package for Transport for London (TfL) for two weeks, as the transport body scrambles to shore up emergency cash ahead of further lockdown restrictions in the capital.

A spokesperson for TfL said: “We have today agreed with the government that our funding will be extended for two weeks so that these constructive discussions can be concluded.”

In May the Department for Transport handed TfL a £1.6bn bailout as the nationwide lockdown crippled revenue for the capital’s rail network.

TfL this week held emergency talks over its future financing, after London mayor Sadiq Khan warned the government cash would run out on 17 October.

Khan has asked the government for a further £5.65bn for TfL over the next 18 months, as Covid restrictions and the Prime Minister’s orders to “work from home where possible” continue to weigh on Tube and bus passenger numbers.

The operator’s income plummeted 90 per cent between March and July, with footfall from July to October only rising marginally.

London is set to face further lockdown restrictions as the capital moves from Tier 1 to Tier 2 at midnight tonight.

Read more

Councils accused of turning e-bike operators into ‘revenue stream’ as fees surge

Lime faces growing scrutiny over its safety record.

The new “high” alert level will mean a ban on households mixing indoors, while Londoners will be told to avoid public transport where possible.

It comes after a source in the mayor’s office last week told Morning Wire that around City Hall there was a “vague sense that [negotiations] are f****d”, and that TfL was at a major risk of running out of cash.

Eleventh-hour talks between the mayor and ministers have stalled because of sticking points surrounding the government’s demands for a potential bailout.

The mayor is understood to have rejected conditions including an expansion of the congestion zone to the North and South Circular, and a demand for fare hikes across the Tube network.

The government is also said to want to axe free travel initiatives for children and those over the age of 60 as part of a potential £1bn bailout.

A spokesperson for TfL said: “We continue to discuss our funding requirements with the government and hope these discussions can be concluded successfully soon, so we can help London through the next phase of the pandemic.”

Read more

No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Coronavirus
  • Sadiq Khan
  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Councils accused of turning e-bike operators into ‘revenue stream’ as fees surge

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Lime faces growing scrutiny over its safety record.
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • Tory and Labour councillors spar over £300m Hammersmith Bridge plans

    Politics
    Hammersmith Bridge spanning the River Thames, surrounded by lush greenery and clear blue skies, capturing its iconic archi...
  • I’m 60, please don’t give me a Freedom Pass

    Opinion
    Close-up of a blue Oyster card against a white background, highlighting its role in public transportation payment systems.
  • Burnham backs higher defence spending but rules out ‘crude’ welfare cuts

    Politics
    Andy Burnham
  • Emergency government meeting held over high temperature amid ‘strain on public finances’

    Economics
    Aerial view of dry, brown farm fields affected by high temperatures, with a road and farm buildings.
  • Devolution will create losers too

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham discussing Manchesters Bee Network public transport initiative at a city council event.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook