Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
0.00%
CAC 40
8,501.91
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 03 January 2024 4:17 pm  |  Updated:  Sunday 28 January 2024 9:19 pm

Government quietly lowers stake in Natwest as it crystallises loss for taxpayers

By: Lars Mucklejohn

Banking and Fintech Reporter

Add as a preferred source on Google
Natwest

The government has sold 1.03 per cent of its shares in Natwest over the last month as it continues to quietly reduce its stake in the bank and solidify a loss for taxpayers.

The Treasury reduced its stake from 37.97 per cent to 36.94 per cent by selling just over 91m shares between 8 December 2023 and 2 January 2024, according to a stock exchange filing by Natwest.

Natwest and the Treasury said they were unable to disclose how much the shares were sold for. The stock closed at 220p on Tuesday, with a market capitalisation of around £19.5bn.

The government lowered its stake from 38.53 per cent to 37.97 per cent between May and December last year.

It acquired an 84 per cent stake in the lender, then known as Royal Bank of Scotland, during the financial crisis in 2008 and has been trying to unwind the position ever since. The government plans to fully sell its shares by 2026.

However, the taxpayer has lost out as the bank’s shares have tumbled far below the 499p average price paid by the government.

The stock fell below 200p in October and November as the bank’s public image suffered from the fallout of a row with former Ukip leader Nigel Farage over the closure of his Coutts account.

Then chief executive Dame Alison Rose resigned in July after she admitted to discussing the Brexiteer’s Coutts account with the BBC.

The scandal prompted a wide-ranging inquiry into so-called “debanking” by the City watchdog, as well as a surge in complaints over the issue.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has said the government is looking at a Tell Sid-style share sale plan for Natwest, offering its stake to retail investors.

A Treasury spokesperson told Morning Wire: “This update shows that our ongoing trading plan continues to make progress towards the government’s objective to return its shareholding in Natwest to private ownership in a way that represents value for money to taxpayers.”

A Natwest spokesperson said: “Any decisions around share sales are a matter for the government. We welcome the government’s continued commitment to returning Natwest to private ownership and believe this is in the best interests of the bank and our shareholders.”

Read more

Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking

Related Topics

  • NatWest

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

More from Morning Wire

  • Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

    Banking
    Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.
  • Natwest hikes targets again after jump in profit

    Banking
    NatWest sign on a dark pillar with vertical slats, set against a blurred background of a modern office building
  • Natwest boss becomes latest City figure caught in AI social media scam

    Banking
    NatWest building exterior with logo, highlighting corporate presence and architecture on a business news website.
  • Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, and NatWest among the first banks in the world to adopt new Swift framework for enhanced international consumer payments

    Business Wire
  • A £3bn reckoning that will reshape buy now, pay later

    Regulation
    Klarna IPO trading buzz with stock charts and investors analyzing market trends in a professional setting
  • Chrysalis marks down Starling stake again and reduces Klarna holding

    Banking
    Hand inserting a turquoise Starling Bank PCA debit card with Mastercard logo into a brown wallet.
  • Stamp duty on shares is ‘biggest handbrake’ says UK bank chief

    Markets
    LSEG logo on a large screen inside a modern building with stock tickers and glass ceilings.
  • JP Morgan boss issues bank tax warning to John Healey

    Banking
    JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook