Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 20 October 2020 9:33 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 20 October 2020 9:34 pm

Government warns that it will ‘take control’ of TfL unless bailout demands met

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google
The government has warned Sadiq Khan that it will take the management of Transport for London (TfL) into its own hands.
Sadiq Khan has asked for £4.9bn in new funding for TfL.

The government has warned Sadiq Khan that it will take the management of Transport for London (TfL) into its own hands if the Mayor does not accept its demands as part of a new bailout deal.

In return for a second rescue package, transport secretary Grant Shapps has set out a number of demands including a hike in council tax, an enlarged congestion charge zone and higher fares, the FT reported.

If the Mayor does not comply with the demands, Shapps has threatened to take charge of the transport operator.

“We will be taking reserve legislative powers allowing us if necessary to direct TfL,” he said in a letter. “This would be combined with a further series of short-term funding settlements.” 

Khan is seeking a £4.9bn deal over the next 18 months, which has seen its revenues decimated by the coronavirus pandemic.

With the initial deadline for an agreement expiring last week, a two week extension to TfL’s funding has been granted by ministers. 

In May, the government handed over £1.6bn to see TfL through an initial six month period, but with no sign of passenger numbers returning, the transport operator is seeking an additional package to fill the hole in its finances. 

The initial package required TfL to freeze all subsidised travel and increase the congestion charge by a third, but new measures could be even more severe.

In the letter, Shapps proposed a six month funding deal which would take the body through to next March.

Read more

TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background

As part of this, he wrote that Londoners should pay an additional sum in their council tax to help ease the pressure on TfL’s finances.

In addition, Shapps said he expected the mayor to begin “pensions and workplace reform” at TfL, accelerate the “inadequate” progress on implementing driverless trains, cut fare concessions for children and pensioners and implement a fares increase of more than the “RPI inflation + one per cent” model agreed in May, the FT reported.

Finally, he asked that the congestion zone be increased in size in line with the Ultra Low Emissions Zone, which from October 2021 will stretch from the North to the South Circular.

Union RMT said the demands amounted to “bullying” by central government.

General secretary Mick Cash said: “The speculation that the Government are threatening to take direct control of TFL sounds like more  bullying by this administration designed to impose their will on Londoners and ride roughshod over local democracy.”

In response, however, Khan rejected the transport secretary’s demands, saying that the government should instead reinstate the network’s operating grant.

He also contrasted the treatment of TfL with the support that has thus far been given to the rail industry, which has already received £4.3bn in funding with few conditions attached. 

Last week officials at the Department for Transport revealed that emergency funding for the country’s railways could cost the taxpayer as much as £10bn over the whole year.

A spokesperson for the Mayor of London said: “Negotiations with the Government continue, but suffice it to say there is simply no way any Mayor could accept conditions of this nature, which would make it harder to tackle the virus and choke off London’s economic recovery at the worst possible time”. 

Morning Wire has contacted DfT for comment.

Read more

Apple gears up for fresh legal fight with government

Apple unveils new products at recent event showcasing innovative technology and sleek design to global audience

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • Apple gears up for fresh legal fight with government

    Lawsuit
    Apple unveils new products at recent event showcasing innovative technology and sleek design to global audience
  • Hammersmith Bridge is a test for Burnham’s place-based growth

    Opinion
    Hammersmith Bridge closed in 2021 with fencing, banners, and traffic cones blocking access to the walkway.
  • Exclusive: Rugby League monitoring Henry Pollock amid £1m Hearn wage demands

    Sport Business
    A young man with blonde hair and a dark shirt, clenching his fist and smiling, likely celebrating or cheering.
  • Ofgem warns on grid squeeze after Heathrow data centre approved

    Tech
    Sir Keir Starmer's government has prioritised investment data centres as a major pillar of its plans to boost economic growth.
  • Burnham’s devolution drive could ‘push 90,000 jobs out of London’

    Economics
    In 2022, rolling Tube strikes led to massive queues for crowded buses. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
  • Balfour Beatty ups profit forecasts as it defies construction gloom

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Balfour Beatty construction site showcasing cranes, workers, and building progress against a city skyline backdrop
  • Let them build homes near stations, but let them be beautiful too

    Opinion
    Two town planners examining a London monorail concept model with buildings and a proposed elevated train line.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook