Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,745.50
-0.02%
DAX
26,045.93
+0.24%
CAC 40
8,451.23
-0.02%
STOXX 50
6,437.68
+0.24%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 18 January 2022 12:55 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 18 January 2022 5:29 pm

Government will take almost 400 years to complete cladding remediations at current pace of fund

By: Emily Hawkins

Add as a preferred source on Google
Government Pledges £3.5bn To Remove Unsafe Cladding From High Rise Buildings
(Photo by Christopher Furlong/Getty Images)

The government is anticipated to take almost 400 years to fix buildings affected by unsafe cladding, should works continue at their current pace.

A dozen unsafe buildings – who have been registered with the government’s £5bn building safety fund – have seen remediation works completed. 

Out of 3,191 buildings with non-composite material cladding initially registered with the fund, just 12 have had works completed, since the launch of the fund in July 2020.  However, hundreds of buildings have been rejected from the funding after applying.

The fund is helping to remediate a total of eight properties per year, according to analysis of total registrations from property developer StripeHomes.

Based on the initial 3,179 properties registered with the fund, full remediation would take approximately 397 years to complete, StripeHomes said.

The department for levelling up, housing and communities noted that just 820 buildings were found eligible for the fund, with an additional 795 deemed ineligible and another 747 having been withdrawn for registration with the fund.

As of the end of November, there were also 259 buildings with applications under review.

It was also reasonable for there to be a time-lag between funding allocation and project completions, meaning the pace at the beginning of the fund was unlikely to continue at the same rate, the department suggested.

The government has recently announced a fresh strategy to tackle the cladding crisis, following campaigners’ criticism that not enough was being done in the wake of the Grenfell tower fire in 2017. 

In measures detailed by Michael Gove earlier this month, property developers will be forced to pay £4bn to replace and refurbish dangerous cladding in tower blocks.

Read more

Workspace urges investors to block ‘destructive’ Saba proposals

Workspace Group said occupancy was down very slightly to 88.1 per cent, compared to 88.4 per cent at the end of last year. 

New measures

Firms have been asked to voluntarily contribute to remediation costs, with Gove threatening legal imposition in the absence of developers’ cooperation. 

No leaseholders living in buildings above 11 metres will be asked to pay for the refurbishment, with responsibility for costs placed at developers’ doors.

Managing director of StripeHomes, James Forrester, said leaseholders who were “living in fear” in unsafe buildings have been forced to pay hefty costs themselves or to “sit tight until the government decides to pull its finger out.”

He added: “The chances are they will be waiting a while as in the 18 months since the building safety fund was announced, the government’s efforts have been woeful and so the further pledge of £4bn announced last week will bring little reassurance. As if that wasn’t bad enough, those without an EWS1 are effectively trapped in their homes unable to sell due to mortgage companies rendering their homes worthless. 

“It’s a dire situation and we need action, not PR spin and promises. It’s also highly unlikely that the nation’s biggest housebuilders will simply roll over without a fight and so the only ones likely to benefit from Gove’s latest announcement are the legal teams representing the parties in question.”

In the event that the number of properties ineligible and withdrawn were subtracted from the total registered with the fund, StripeHomes said at the current pace works would take an estimated 102.5 years to finish.

A spokesperson for the firm added: “It would take the government nearly 400 years to rectify the cladding on all of the properties to have applied for help.

“Unfortunately they’ve decided that the vast majority of these building don’t qualify and so these homeowners have been left high and dry.

“Despite this highly selective approach, their performance has been so woeful that they’re still set to take over 100 years to help those that do qualify. So we’re unlikely to see the end of this scandal anytime soon.”

Read more

Housebuilders urge Rayner to ‘hit the ground running’ and rip up planning red tape

Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, smiling in glasses at an event with camera crew and lighting

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Property

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Workspace urges investors to block ‘destructive’ Saba proposals

    Property
    Workspace Group said occupancy was down very slightly to 88.1 per cent, compared to 88.4 per cent at the end of last year. 
  • Housebuilders urge Rayner to ‘hit the ground running’ and rip up planning red tape

    Property
    Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, smiling in glasses at an event with camera crew and lighting
  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for certain sub-funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
  • Sweeping job cuts at GSK to fund £400m Cambridge campus

    Pharma
    Modern GSK Cambridge campus buildings with sky bridge, green spaces, and people walking and cycling.
  • First Trust Global Portfolios Management Limited Announces Distribution for Certain Sub-Funds of First Trust Global Funds ICAV

    Business Wire
  • Balfour Beatty ups profit forecasts as it defies construction gloom

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Balfour Beatty construction site showcasing cranes, workers, and building progress against a city skyline backdrop
  • CoStar Data Shows London Dominates UK Office Development as Regional Pipeline Hits 20-Year Low

    Business Wire
  • Aberdeen is back in the FTSE 100 but is Interactive Investor holding it up?

    Investing
    Skyline of Canada with iconic financial district buildings, highlighting UK investments and economic growth.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook