Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,129.78
+0.01%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,453.64
-0.22%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 15 August 2016 12:19 pm

GTR vows to modernise services as talks with RMT end without agreement

By: James Nickerson

Add as a preferred source on Google

Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) has vowed to move ahead with its modernisation plans after talks with RMT ended without any agreement.

GTR, the parent company of embattled Southern Rail, said it will move forward after talks broke down with the RMT union at Acas.

An Acas spokesperson said: "Acas conciliation talks have ended without the sides reaching agreement. There are no further talks planned but our services remain available."

Read more: Train operator only delivered 70 per cent of services on time

Angie Doll, GTR passenger services director, said: "We have been talking to the union for nine months now and, despite several visits to Acas, the union won't agree a deal.

"Passengers will be rightly exasperated that the RMT won’t agree to what most fair-minded people would believe is an incredibly good offer. We are guaranteeing jobs, pay and a second person on as many trains as we do today and also offered to work with the RMT to agree modern working practices to reduce cancellations and passenger disruption.

The RMT has repeatedly tried to play the safety card as the issue but it did not raise this issue at all during these latest talks, confirming this dispute is purely about union power and control. The fact is that, day in, day out for decades, up and down Britain’s railways and the Tube network, we’ve had the driver operating the doors, safely.

This is backed up by independent research and expert opinion, including that of the Rail Safety and Standards Board.

Subsequently, GTR said it will "now move forward with our modernisation plans which will deliver better customer service for our passengers".

Read more: PM blasts RMT over Southern Rail strike "misery"

However, it added that its eight-point proposal is still on the table and it urged the RMT to give this serious consideration.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "We had a golden opportunity in these talks to make some serious progress on the core issue of a second person on the train who would have protected the safety of passengers, delivered customer service and ensured access to services for those with disabilities or needing assistance.

"‎It's a bitter blow that a firm set of union proposals that could have allowed us to move forward were rejected out of hand. The matter will be discussed by the union executive this afternoon."

The news comes after a strike by the RMT on a number of lines last week, including on Southern.

The decision by Southern to transfer control of doors to the driver – a concept familiar to millions of London Underground commuters – triggered the long-running dispute, which has seen staff sickness levels soar. Controversially, only 393 guards were balloted on the strike action.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • UK inks trade deal with Switzerland – despite shouting match

    Politics
    UK and Switzerland officials signing a trade deal, highlighting international services agreement and bilateral cooperation
  • Crest Nicholson shares slump as lender talks drag on 

    Property
    Housing delivery in London is in a major crisis
  • Exclusive: Rugby World Champions Cup set to be mothballed

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2277832417
  • Premier League agree EFL funding deal which could be worth £1.5bn

    Sport Business
    Close-up of a white and navy blue sports jersey with the Premier League logo emblem on the fabric
  • Brentford FC stadium to host rugby union franchise sevens finals

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2244438763 depicts a significant business event highlighting key industry leaders in a networking session.
  • Tesco ‘in talks’ to exit eastern Europe

    Retail
    Tesco storefront with shoppers entering and exiting, highlighting the brands popularity and bustling retail environment
  • Premier League and EFL set for summit with Football Regulator over new financial deal

    Sport Business
    Arsenal players celebrate with the Premier League trophy and confetti raining down, cheering on the field.
  • Prologis tables ‘best and final’ £14bn offer for Segro

    Property
    London Stock Exchange interior with a digital display showing LON.STK.EXCH and traders walking past.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook