Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.11
-0.21%
DAX
26,440.31
0.00%
CAC 40
8,636.80
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,539.59
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceBankingAIEnergyFintechPropertyCapital Markets
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Technology
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 18 June 2024 2:27 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 18 June 2024 3:48 pm

Hargreaves Lansdown ‘willing to recommend’ £5.4bn CVC-led takeover to shareholders

By: Charlie Conchie

City Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Hargreaves Lansdown has entered talks with a group of private equity bidders.
Hargreaves Lansdown has entered talks with a group of private equity bidders.

Hargreaves Lansdown has said it is ready to recommend a takeover to its shareholders after a group of private equity bidders led by CVC rounded again with a fourth £5.4bn offer for the firm.

In a statement to the market this afternoon, the retail investment giant said the latest non-binding offer was at a value that “the board would be willing to recommend unanimously to Hargreaves Lansdown shareholders” and it had now entered negotiations with the consortium.

“The board remains confident in management’s ability to execute Hargreaves Lansdown’s strategic priorities and in Hargreaves Lansdown’s fundamental longer term prospects,” Hargreaves Lansdown said in a statement. 

“However, having evaluated the revised possible cash offer, which would provide the certainty of value in cash to shareholders, the Board has decided to engage with the Consortium and provide confirmatory due diligence access.”

 The group of bidders is led by buyout giant CVC, alongside Nordic Capital, and Platinum Ivy, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.

The latest bid comes in at 1,140p per share. A deadline for a firm bid for the  takeover has now been extended until 5pm on the 19th July.

Shares in the company surged around five per cent on news of the bid today.

Hargreaves, the UK’s biggest retail investment platform with a 40 per cent share of the market, has rejected three previous bids but the opening of talks could now signal an impending takeover of the FTSE 100 company.

Any deal would be a major blow for the London Stock Exchange as it looks to stem an exodus of companies away from the market. Over £100bn worth of businesses have now exited the market this year either through takeover or de-listings.

Fears have grown that listed businesses are systemically undervalued in the UK compared to public markets in the US. The initial bid for Hargreaves Landsown came in at a 30 per cent premium on its trading price but shares have rocketed some 40 per cent since then.

Read more

Hargreaves Lansdown orders staff back to office

Hargreaves Lansdown financial services office exterior with company logo prominently displayed on modern building façade

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Investing

People & Organisations

  • Hargreaves Lansdown

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Brompton Bicycle sues former adviser for ‘professional negligence’

  • Revolut chatbot goes rogue by charging users to cancel subscription

More from Morning Wire

  • Hargreaves Lansdown orders staff back to office

    Investing
    Hargreaves Lansdown financial services office exterior with company logo prominently displayed on modern building façade
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • FTSE 100 Segro ‘minded to accept’ £14bn Prologis takeover

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Tui hit by Middle East travel chaos and rising fuel costs

    Transport & Infrastructure
    TUI airline crew, pilots and flight attendants, smiling on aircraft stairs with the TUI tail logo in the background
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • FTSE 250 facilities manager swept off London Stock Exchange in £3.1bn deal

    Markets
    Mitie logo, a prominent facilities management and professional services company
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • UK & Ireland

Business

  • Markets
  • Banking
  • Technology
  • Energy
  • Property
  • Fintech

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook