Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 20 June 2022 3:18 pm

Hollywood in shock as all eyes in Italy are on Paul Haggis: Oscar-winning director held at hotel room

By: Michiel Willems

Add as a preferred source on Google
Film director and screenwriter Paul Haggis (Source; Wikipedia)

The director and writer of Hollywood hits such as Million Dollar Baby, Crash and two James Bond films – Paul Haggis – is currently being held in a hotel room in southern Italy pending a court hearing while prosecutors press their investigation of a woman’s allegations he had sex with her without her consent over the course of two days.

Prosecutors in Brindisi, a port town in Puglia, the region that forms the “heel” of south-eastern Italy, announced on Sunday that police had detained the 69-year-old Canadian-born director, screenwriter and producer for investigation of alleged aggravated sexual violence and aggravated personal injuries.

They described the alleged victim as a “young foreign woman”, while state TV and other Italian media said she is English.

Haggis came to the tourist town of Ostuni to participate in an arts festival that begins on Tuesday and is being detained in a hotel room in that town, the media said.

Haggis’s Italian lawyer was in court on Monday morning on other matters and could not be reached for comment.

Developments over the weekend

On Sunday, Haggis’ US-based lawyer Priya Chaudhry told the Associated Press that although she could not discuss the evidence under Italian law, “I am confident that all allegations will be dismissed against Mr Haggis. He is totally innocent, and willing to fully co-operate with the authorities so the truth comes out quickly”.

Brindisi prosecutor Antonio Negro said on Monday that the exact date of the hearing this week is still to be decided.

Under Italian law a judge, after hearing arguments from both prosecutors and defence lawyers, will rule on whether Haggis can be set free pending possible additional investigation.

A judge can also decide if there is a flight risk, or the possibility of tampering with evidence or committing the same alleged crime and order him to be jailed or stay under house arrest.

In a written statement on Sunday announcing that Haggis had been detained, prosecutors said that “according to (investigative) elements gathered”, Haggis allegedly “forced the young woman, known by him from some time ago, to submit to sexual relations”.

The statement also said that the woman was “forced to seek medical care”.

Read more

I was first aboard Explora Journey’s new cruise ship. Does it beat the competition?

Luxury cruise ship Explora pool deck with lounge chairs and circular daybeds under a retractable glass roof

The prosecutors alleged that after a couple of days “of non-consensual relations, the woman was accompanied” by Haggis to Brindisi airport and “was left there at dawn despite (her) precarious physical and psychological conditions”.

Airport staff and police noticed her “obvious confused state” and took her to Brindisi’s police headquarters, where officers accompanied her to a local hospital for examination, the prosecutors said.

Haggis is a director, producer and screenwriter.

He won an Oscar in 2006 for best original screenplay for Crash.

In recent years, Haggis has had legal problems stemming from sexual misconduct accusations by four women in the United States.

After a civil lawsuit, filed in New York in late 2017, alleging that he had raped a publicist, three other women came forward with their own sexual misconduct accusations, including another publicist who said he forced her to perform oral sex, then raped her.

Haggis denied the original rape allegations in a counter-complaint to the lawsuit, and said that the accuser and her lawyer had demanded a payment of nine million dollars (£7.3 million) to avoid legal action.

Haggis described that as extortion.

Brindisi prosecutors in their statement said that the woman “formalised her complaint and cited circumstances which were subsequently looked into for confirmation by investigators”.

With his cinema work, Haggis has depicted himself as an advocate for the underdog in his films, addressing racism, euthanasia and war.

Themes of the Ostuni festival included equality, gender parity and solidarity.

Read more

Travelodge boss quits amid backlash over hotel sexual assault

Travelodge London Central Elephant & Castle sign with a blurred red double-decker bus in the background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Media

Related Topics

  • Cinema

Trending Articles

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • I was first aboard Explora Journey’s new cruise ship. Does it beat the competition?

    Life&Style
    Luxury cruise ship Explora pool deck with lounge chairs and circular daybeds under a retractable glass roof
  • Travelodge boss quits amid backlash over hotel sexual assault

    Hospitality
    Travelodge London Central Elephant & Castle sign with a blurred red double-decker bus in the background
  • Incoming FRC chair sits on board of construction group facing criminal probe

    Accountancy
    Blonde woman in a blue and black patterned jacket smiling in front of a window
  • Champions Cup rugby team hacked in ransom attack with player data at risk

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in a pink uniform running with the ball, pursued by an opponent in a black jersey.
  • Ari Emmanuel snaps up West End theatre group ATG for £4.5bn

    Hospitality
    Paddington Bear in a blue duffle coat and red hat on a purple background with BAFTA and EE logos
  • Five-star Mayfair hotel hit with HMRC winding-up petition

    Hospitality
    Exterior of The Stafford London hotel, a brick building with British and American flags, elegant windows, and ornate raili...
  • The only answers to over-tourism are prices or queues

    Opinion
    Tourists photograph the ornate white marble Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italy.
  • Great Britain Leads Europe’s FMCG Inflation as NIQ Launches New Inflation Barometer

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook