Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,752.61
+0.23%
DAX
26,124.49
-0.01%
CAC 40
8,513.80
+0.05%
STOXX 50
6,451.30
-0.26%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 15 November 2021 7:57 am

‘I am truly sorry’: Michael Gove apologises for leaks over Grenfell demolition plans

By: Michiel Willems

Add as a preferred source on Google
Views Around Grenfell Tower
Grenfell Tower

Michael Gove, the Housing Secretary, has made an apology for leaked reports about Grenfell Tower being prepared for demolition, and vowed that the tragedy-hit community will be consulted about building’s future.

The Sunday Times in September reported that ministers were set to announce the razing of the charred tower, four years after a deadly blaze that claimed 72 lives.

It said there were safety concerns, with structural engineering experts “unambiguously and unanimously” advising that the remains of the block of flats be “carefully taken down”.

But Gove, in a letter published by the same newspaper on Sunday, said he was “truly sorry” for the “tremendous and justified upset” the report had caused survivors, the bereaved, and the west London community.

Gove – who was appointed Housing Secretary on September 15, after the publication of the original Sunday Times article – pledged to take a “different approach”.

He said that any decision regarding the future of the tower would be communicated “directly and respectfully to those affected” and not via anonymous press briefings.

The Cabinet minister said: “I make no criticism of The Sunday Times’ decision to report this story, which came from Government sources.

Read more

Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.

“However, the news caused tremendous and justified upset to many of those bereaved by the Grenfell tragedy, many who survived it and many who live in the local area.

“I am truly sorry on behalf of the Government that it ever should have occurred.”

Michael Gove

“As the new Secretary of State for Housing, I write to make clear that I will take a different approach.

“Any decision on the future of the tower will be communicated not through anonymous briefings, but directly and respectfully to those affected.”

Gove said he was “determined” to hear from the community before any decision about what will happen to the burnt-out tower is taken, with a “process of engagement” already underway.

The letter comes after the senior Conservative minister told MPs earlier this month that the Government “failed people at Grenfell”, and that it had not always appreciated the importance of fire safety.

An inquiry into the Grenfell Tower fire is currently in phase 2, which is examining Government failures at the time of the June 2017 blaze. It is due to resume later today.

Read more

London is Open for Business – But Only If We Get Planning Right

Innovative technology concept with futuristic digital interface and glowing data visuals on a dark background

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • housing

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

    Opinion
    The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.
  • London is Open for Business – But Only If We Get Planning Right

    Partner
    Innovative technology concept with futuristic digital interface and glowing data visuals on a dark background
  • James Reed: My advice for Andy Burnham on his big promotion

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • What’s on in London August

    Sponsored
    Collage of London attractions: Tower Bridge, outdoor dining, rock climbing, museum, afternoon tea, and spa.
  • The forgotten masterpiece that helped shape the modern English language

    Life&Style
    Woman with closed eyes praying over an open Book of Common Prayer on a bed
  • Burnham set for crunch decision on JP Morgan’s £10bn tower

    Banking
    Breaking news update with relevant statistics and graphs displayed on a digital screen, highlighting recent data trends.
  • Fernie Cultural Universe | When an Eastern Garden Awakens in a Scottish Castle

    Business Wire
  • Dimon threatens to ditch JP Morgan tower in tax warning to Burnham

    Banking
    Jamie Dimon speaking at a JP Morgan event, wearing a suit and tie, addressing financial trends and market strategies.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook